Couldn't help myself

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeepGuy

Reaction score
So, I tried my first brew last night, only a week of bottle conditioning and I didn't use a secondary. I am wanting to try one again next week and then again the third, to see for myself how it changes as it ages. It tasted real yeasty, does that settle out more over time in the bottle, or is the whole batch defined in this aspect already? Does the yeasty taste settle out more if I use a secondary? I assume it does.

Yes, using a secondary will help with the yeasty flavor. By removing the beer off the yeast cake, you can help keep some of the yeast flavor from penetrating the beer.

The yeast will settle out as it finishes eating the priming sugar, and the flavor will blend and mellow over time. Yes, a secondary will allow time for a lot of the yeast and other stuff to settle so that it never gets into the bottle.

It's never to early to sample (and I mean sample) your ale. That's the only way you'll learn about the aging process.

Thanks. That's what I thought the secondary did, and I knew it would make the beer clearer, so I've already bought a carboy for my second batch which I'll be racking tonight. I'm also glad to hear that the yeastieness may subside still.

One of my beers started out tasting unpleasantly yeasty. After a bit (2 months or so) the yeastiness was gone and the beer excellent. Brew another batch or two and let that one rest.

Remember in school when they taught you that due to gravity and object falls at the rate of 10m/s/s (sorry I dont know what the imperial English equivilent is for those from the us).
Well in a beer bottle, yeast sediment falls at the rate of, 'in its own sweet time'.
If you take a drink before the suggested time has elapsed there is a good chance that you will get a mouthfull of yeast cells which supprisingly enough tastes of yeast.
If you take a drink while there is a haze in the beer, caused by yeast there is a good chance supprisingly enough, it will taste of yeast.
If you wait long enough, all the yeast cells will sink to the bottom of the bottle and compact in the sediment and if poured carefully the beer will not have any taste of yeast at all. Supprisingly enough .

Be patient...and if you cant be patient, learn about finings, ironicaly the taste yeast should impart on a beer doesnt taste yeasty but thats another story.

Back