Do dry hopped beers carbonate quicker? huh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

othevad

Reaction score
See subject.
I usually give my newly bottled beers a little shake test and look inside to see if it looks like it's carbonated. If it appears to be that way (no matter how long it's been in the bottles) I refridgerate one and try it a couple hours later.

Usually, as most of us know, it generally takes close to 2 weeks or longer to carb up a decent level. I've done a few dry hopped IPA's in the last 6 months and every time I do one, I swear to god, they carb up in like 4 or 5 days to a seriously good level.

Shun me for trying me bottled beer after 5 days, but if it's carbed up, why not. The question is this: do the hop particles remaining from floating dry hops that sneak into the bottle force carbonation quicker? Seems like it to me, but if anyone could confirm or deny this and why it would be awesome.
yep!
Dave

I'm not totally convinced that the dry hop makes carbing quicker. But the thing is,you're not just waiting for them to carbonate. You're also waiting for them to condition,which ime takes about a week longer than carbonating for the beer to be nicely matured. For me that's 3-4 weeks for an average gravity ale.

How long it takes to carb is dependent more on style and og/fg.

Basically a lighter beer such as an IPA with less malts to it will be a thinner and easier to carb beer than say a thick heavy Oatmeal Stout will be.

There are a lot of variables that could also play into it but dryhopping is not one of them IME

Yep, I agree on the fact that they still need to mature to be at peak taste, but if I wanna sneak a few while I didn't have any homebrew in my cases I have no problem with that =)
I should actually say (as well) that the last one that did this was not quite light. It's probably not classified as an imperial, but it was an OG of 1.070 and FG of 1.011.

Back