2 year old cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apple_Jacker

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was just informed the other day that a friend of mine still had a bottle of the very first batch of cider I made back in the fall of 2010!!! It has about 3/8" of sediment in the bottom of the bottle. Here's hoping it isn't a gusher! I'll post pics and comments when I drink it :)

Well, it was absolutely a gusher, but I managed to let the CO2 out slow enough that I didn't lose any cider. Of course, all of the sediment rose up from the bottom and mixed back in to what might have been some golden clear cider.

ForumRunner_20121012_200145.jpg

ForumRunner_20121012_200206.jpg

Upon first sniff, it didn't have much if an aroma at all, not even Mich of an alcohol smell. And this stuff was over 12% abv! I took my first sip...and it didn't have much flavor. It tasted similar to the cider experiment I recently made where I didn't add any sugar or anything to the cider. That being said, it is a huuuge improvement over the apple-moonshine flavor it had when I drank it 2 years ago :) if I had this bulk aging this whole time, some concentrate to backsweeten would have gone a long way. I drank about half of the bottle and I'm already feel it so it is definitely still potent. All in all, I wish it had more of the apple and brown sugar flavors retained within, but it is still a huge improvement over how it tasted young. And it damn sure does pack a punch with no alcohol burn whatsoever! I'll have to buy some more carboys and met a batch bulk age for a year if so and see how it turns out!

Back