Need law knowledge for this one

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefJoeR

Reaction score
I have the owners of the restaurant interested in me brewing some beer. Unfortunately with the laws in Georgia, and I am pretty sure everywhere else, you need a brewing license. But do you need a license if you are not selling it as a product, but as an ingredient of a dish? I have talked to them about dishes with shellfish and beer, meats and beer.... Obviously you consuming this product as part of cooked dish. Any input? I can explain/expand further if you need.

Are you going to be paid in any way for the beer you brew? Pretty sure makes no difference whether it is for consumption or a cooking ingredient or the pay is only free meals from a commercial establishment, it would be illegal.

Check your state laws. Questions like this come up occasionally on this forum and that seems to be the general answer.

No way the feds are going to loose out on any possible tax revenue.

I'm not sure it would be worth it if you were trying to be perfectly legally obliging. What about making some hopped wort to use for cooking? It would take a great deal of recipe formulation, but I think it could be done and fall under the same laws as food production.

Latest posts

Back