DIY Tap Handle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm working on a couple of designs, but in the mean time.. 78 cents each.

photo.JPG

Nothing too special, but carved this out of a piece of ash I picked up around here. Carved it, burned it a touch with the torch, and used tung oil to seal it.

image-4270396830.jpg

Here is a modified Dos equis handle, I am going to put whiteboard sticker on the now square top. Also a resin bottle i had laying around that needed to be part of the fun.

8238-TAP-DosEquis-b1.jpeg

ForumRunner_20120110_005645.jpg

ForumRunner_20120110_005810.jpg

Left to right:

- Cam (used in rock climbing) with a Sculpey base
- Snap-On screwdriver handle
- Telescope In/Out knob from a crane lever on a wrecker

handles.jpg

a friend of mine engraved a couple of my tap handles! cannot wait to get more taps so he can do some more!!

tapper large.jpg

tapper small.jpg

I bought a lathe to make some tap handles for a kegerator I'm building

this first one was just a test to see if I liked the finial I rigged
6858695980_1df19a92d3_b.jpg

this one is in the process of coating with polyurethane
The right side is the top (Where the winged girl will go) and the left is the bottom to attach to the tap

7015894699_2a1054819a_b.jpg

keezer_3.jpg

Just a thought... if you could find a way to make them liquid tight even after they are screw onto the faucet you could fill each tube with a sample of the brew on that tap which would look way cool. Definitely a conversation piece ;)

So has anyone actually done this? I'm definitely down for trying liquid taphandles.

So has anyone actually done this? I'm definitely down for trying liquid taphandles.

I have not but I do have one filled with grains as pictured and the other stuffed with artificial hop cones. (they look plenty real to me.) IMO liquid would work but I would make sure that it could not spoil or ferment inside the handle.

Grasslands said:

I have this currently on my tap handle with liquid, the main problem is sealing between the cap and ferrule. Once you get a good seal though it works great. Rule of my kegerator is, whoever finishes the keg (besides me) has to drink whats in the handle

Adeering said:
I have this currently on my tap handle with liquid, the main problem is sealing between the cap and ferrule. Once you get a good seal though it works great. Rule of my kegerator is, whoever finishes the keg (besides me) has to drink whats in the handle

Hahahaha! Sweet policy!

How'd you go about obtaining that seal? I imagine one should probably let the beer air out for a few hours before filling the vial.

I plan on making a pair of tap handles with d20's (the dice). My plan was to get a slightly larger one for the "capper" and then drill holes in them all. Then, skewer them on a small rod of some sort (or bolt), if needed apply epoxy.

I am having troubles figuring out how I will attach the threaded insert though. Not very knowledgeable on hardware, hoping to tap someone for some help. Anyone have suggestions?

Hello - new to the forum, and in need of some advice.

I have a tap handle with a stainless steel plate, 3.5'' by 2.5''. I want to put my school's logo on this. I went to the bookstore and the only stickers they have are car decals, rather than regular stickers. So, the decals are opaque and unfortunately the faceplate has two screw holes right in the middle (sunken, not raised) and would be an eyesore since they'd be visible through the decal. My plan -- and this is where I'm looking for advice -- is to first put a "Hello, my name is..." sticker on the plate (just about perfect size) to cover the screws, then painting over that (white or black), then applying the decal and then finishing it off with some sealant. So, the end product would be the logo with a white/black background.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I made a few of these when they first popped up. Not very strong at the cap area and I didn't really care for the movement I got out of them. could be how I did mine i suppose.
I was thinking for beer inside you could fill and maybe use wax to seal before you put the cap on. Just a thought, really don't know if it would work.

The threaded inserts should be at any hardware store. It really depends on what you are turning into a handle.

I used a threaded insert on my Snap-On handle. Plastic handle with a hole in the end. It made sense.

I made a handle using Sculpey. For that, I simply molded it around a standard nut.

Another handle I have is made from an expended pen flare cartridge. It has an extremely thin wall. I took two nuts and screwed them onto a bolt using one as a jam nut. Then I shaped one of the nuts with a slight taper until it could be hammered into the cartridge.

Others seem to have luck with gluing nuts into place.

I guess my point is the threaded inserts should be readily available, but don't get hung up on it. They are great, but not the only solution.

Where are you guys finding the nuts for the bottom?

Any big box hardware store carries "T- Nuts"

ce339ba6.jpg

You just drill a hole, the add a little Gorilla Glue, and tap them in.

I located the center of the base and drilled a 3/8” hole about 1/2” into the base. The I screwed the “T-Nut” onto the beer tap, and marked where the front of the nut fell. That way it would be in the right position when the tap was screwed back on.

I used some Gorilla Glue to mount it and tapped the nut in place. (If using the foaming kind of Gorilla Glue, keep and eye on it to make sure that the foaming glue doesn’t get up into the threaded area. I found that if it does, a Q-tip with some mineral spirits worked great to clean the glue out.

0cff2a04.jpg

871d024c.jpg

My tap build thread is here. (Not Quite) Ugly Junk, Graphically Changeable Tap Handles

With one of these:
View attachment 2011

and an drill you can make anything into a tap handle (well, not anything, meat wouldn't work, or a cat, but lots of things).

I'm just using oak, though.

Could you test this theory on a few cats please, just to make sure it wouldn't work? In fact, I think we should all do it, just to be sure. :)

image-2327236858.jpg

Working on a keg set up so I made this up real quick. Just a scrap piece of red oak I had lying around. Just took the router to the bottom part, but still need to burn and seal it.

Back