Aggressive boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustavo

Reaction score
Was wondering while boiling do I keep the boil high and aggressive for the 60min. Or do I lower to a slower boil?

The boil does not have to be aggressive. As long as the boil continues for the full length you are OK. Also less aggression = fewer boil-overs.

Functionally, there's dependency on the base malt, where the lighter the malt the more benefit from a "rolling boil", to drive off DMS precursors.

That said, I always do a rolling boil for the full duration, regardless of base malt, if only because my recipes are calibrated to a certain boil-off rate if I want to hit my post-boil volume and density...

Cheers!

While not required I have noticed that my beer is much clearer whith an aggressive 90min boil vs. a slow 60min boil. YMMV.

I'm definitely of the "aggressive boil" school of thought just from experiences with the outcome. I tend to get a cleaner flavor and aroma and also a slightly clearer beer. Use more water... it's worth it :)

My electric stove is so weak...I never get a roaring boil...so I do a 90 boil and account for a lot of evaporation. Good protein break is all you need. No worries. Yes using more water is okay just boil longer to evaporate it and the gravity will remain on target.

This is one of those points that there is a lot of disagreement and debate over. If you look at the directions of any kit you might buy, they will always suggest something like a "slow, rolling boil". These directions are not the ultimate authority though of course.

I achieve a nice bubbling boil, nothing more. I am in the camp that believes that an aggressive rolling boil to "drive off DMS precursors" -or evil spirits- is a homebrewing myth. My homebrews come out just fine, in many styles, are consumed by numbers of people, and no one complains of off flavors.

Ok I boil on a stove, would you recommend doing a 90min. Boil and is there any consequence if only boiling for 60 on slow boil

I think it's more important to be consistent with your boil to be able to determine a boil off rate. For all-grain you can then figure how many pre-boil gallons you need to get to your post-boil gallons based on the number of gallons per hour your system boils off. For instance, in a 60 min. recipe, you add your bittering hops at 60 minutes, you don't want to have boil for 80 minutes to get to your post boil volume because it will change the beer you are making as your ibu's can be off. Conversely, you don't want to hit your post boil vol. after only 35 minutes for the same reason.

Back