homemade sausage stuffer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
I have the kitchenaid stuffer attachment and I've just about given up on the damn thing- the plastic pusher is too small for the hopper chute and the sausage just squirts back up around it. As a grinder, it's good, but the stuffer sucks.

I've seen some stuffers out there but $100 seems to be on the low end. It's such a simple mechanism, isn't there a decent DIY answer? I'd like to start making dry cured sausages, but right now I'm stuck making fresh patties b/c of my inability to stuff the casings.

please share, I've been searching google and all I found were people talking about how plans exist somewhere out there, and one massive 60 lb monster stuffer... I'm thinking more 5-10 lbs.

please share, I've been searching google and all I found were people talking about how plans exist somewhere out there, and one massive 60 lb monster stuffer... I'm thinking more 5-10 lbs.

Give me a few minutes. I used to have some saved but that is at home. I would reccomend doing it atleast 15-20 pounds, if not larger though, if you are building one.

Well, I have found some pictures but no actual build instructions or parts lists or anything. I will try and find the links I had saved at home.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-lb-Sausage-Stuffer-Vertical/H6252

h6252.jpg

You can save some bucks by getting a horn stuffer, but they will just make you made you didn't spend the extra $20.

This is a great stuffer. I use mine very often.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-lb-Sausage-Stuffer-Vertical/H6252

h6252.jpg

You can save some bucks by getting a horn stuffer, but they will just make you made you didn't spend the extra $20.

This is a great stuffer. I use mine very often.

Started with the attachment on my grinder and hated it. Moved on to a horn stuffer, hated it! Got the Grizzly and love it!! Cut my stuffing time by more than 50% and I can easily do it by myself without bothering SWMBO to help....

I think the homemade stuffer thing is a bit like the sasquatch or something. Elusive but some people swear they knew some guy who saw one back in the day... probably while drunk.

Anyway, I'll probably go with the stuffer up there. God knows I love my sausages (no puns please).

Now that I have looked at it a few times, it doesn't look like it will clean up very easily in the pipe and valve section....

According to the guy that made it, ngrodeon, he runs it off of just tap water pressure.

Where do you guys get the casings from? I just got a kitchen aid but it sounds like everyone hates it.

KA is a good grinder, bad stuffer. I think if you push forward and try to use it as a stuffer you will need two people, one to push the meat through and one to handle the casing.

The best Brat casings I've gotten were from Butcher and Packer:
http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=303

I've also used them from http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.aspx?gclid=CNK_94e9kKwCFQ8q7AodRFKCpA. Those casings were much more temperamental. They are in NY so you might get a quick ship from them.

Casings are a natural product, so I guess it's a game of dice which hogs intestines you get. But I think I will stick with B&P for now. BTW, the collagen casings are cheap and look great, but you can't twist them or they will break. Tieing them with butchers twine might be possible, but I'm not doing that. So, IMO you should stick with natural casings.

Also, casings come dried in salt and it looks like they will keep indefinately like that. So I'd buy a bunch of them. Might as well pick up a cure or some spices or other stuff since you are paying for shipping anyway.

Mostly everything that I get comes from butcher-packer. Best prices and selection that I could find anywhere.

Where do you guys get the casings from? I just got a kitchen aid but it sounds like everyone hates it.

I usually get them from a local mexican meat market but I've also gotten them from a butcher supply house. Any market/butcher that makes their own sausage will probably sell them to you.

As PP said the kitchenaid works fine as a grinder, but the stuffer not as well. If you have two people working at it, it'll get you by, but its kinda slow.

This is an old thread but I have a kitchenaid grinder/stuffer attachment also and a 1-1/2" dowel works pretty well it eliminates the push back of the meat. Still the down fall to this is you have to push with a ton of force.

I was watching the food network channel Yesterday and Anthony bourdane how ever u spell his name. Was in Czech and of course other than the massive amounts of beer consumed he went to some event similar to a BBQ but the pretty much dismantled a pig and used as much as possible. The butcher doing this actually hand packaged sausage made from the pig. I was quite amazed. So I think when I finally come to making sausage I will try my hand at that.

Now that I have checked out it a few periods, it doesn't look like it will fresh up very quickly in the tube and device area.
Best costs and choice that I might discover anywhere.

Back