Dry hopping a wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyGus

Reaction score
I brewed a light wheat beer (3lbs wheat/20lbs 2-Row) and used German Ale Yeast. The beer tastes good but it's not my favorite. I don't know if it is the wheat or the Yeast that I don't "love". I have 6 gallons left in 2ndary and was thinking about dry hopping it to hopefully turn it into something I really like.
OR I have an IPA coming out soon. I guess I could mix some of that with it to add Hoppiness.
Whudda y'all think?

couldn't hurt to dry hop. What hops were you thinking? Also, you could "dry spice" with some peppercorn/coriander/orange peel and turn it into a bit of a wit.

Not a big fan of the Wit family so that would be going the other way. I'll just dry hop it and see what happens.

What hops did you use during the boil? I do an American wheat using S05 and all Amarillo including a dry hop. It is one of the favorite house ales at my place.

I made a Blue Moon clone a few months back, mostly bacause my daughter asked me for it, it's not my favorite. I made 10 gallon, 5 for her and I dry hopped the other 5 with willamette I believe. Turned out pretty darn good.

i just dry hopped a wheat that wasn't great. it was bitter with out the hop flavor to back it up. i added one ounce simcoe, now its delicious!

Its funny this post came up. I brewed my first wheat with s-33. It was ok after fermenting out, but not working for me. I have about 2 lbs of fresh pineapple cubed in the freezer so I can secondary on them tomorrow. I figure if it ain't great, experiment..

I am so gladd I read this thread. I got a wheat in the secondary that taste like azz. Not really my thing. I tasted a sample before i was going to bottle it a week ago and thought why waste my time with this... So it has been setting there. It had a little melony tatse almost and I thought maybe it was bad. A friend said well you got to add the sugar and the carb will help it out... I don't know. What do y'all think throw some hops in and see if it will help?

bja -- Blue Moon BAN!!! Kidding

I put 1.5oz of Galena in my batch last night so hopefully this will make the beer more tolerable in a couple weeks. If not, I will load up my neighbors with free beer since they seem to like the first half.
I think Skyebrewing hit the nail on the head "I figure if it ain't great, experiment.."

Back