Two Hearted Infection Hits Bells

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my god, I had a sixer that I finished last week. I had a couple bottles that seemed "funky." Honestly I thought it was my tastebuds. I had cooked salmon for dinner that night, so I thought it was just a bad combination of the salmon and the beer.

It was bottle 4 and 5. The next day I finished bottle 6 and it tasted fine. So I just figured it was me.

Interesting.

I BOUGHT A WHOLE PHUCKING CASE OF THE BAD BATCH!!!!! It was for a party, and I knew it was infected immediately....but my friends had managed to guzzle a sixer of it before I had one to notice....I'm definitely getting a refund or exchange, the stuff is expensive.

I had one at a buddies house back on the 7th of May that I could have sworn wasn't right.... Very astringent... Wonder if it's from the bad batch.

We had a couple of Oberons from this years batch that seemed very off. Too bad no recalls on that.

On this subject, how often do things like this occur in breweries? Say for example, I had a couple of cases of some Lazy Magnolia Indian Summer that were about a 7 months old. My sister and I opened some last week and every single one of them were gushers. They were fine for her wedding 7 months ago, but now they all gush. Maybe it was an infection, maybe not. Got me thinking though as to the regularity of things like this in the commercial brewing world.

Bells Two Hearted is my absolute favorite IPA. I have brewed my first, second and third batch while drinking it. This won't stop me from buying it but I'm glad they admitted to it. I don't think they every came out and acknowledged the Expedition stouts not holding carbonation/oxidizing 2 years ago though.

Had my first Two Hearted last week. Was not impressed. Maybe I got a bad batch. Is the batch # on the bottles?

Back