50 quart pot - big enough for 10 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
Just picked up a 50Q aluminum pot for 60 dollars shipped. This is a 12.5 gallon pot. I am hoping to do full wort 10 gallon all grain batches with this pot. Do you think I can boil 11 gallons safely with this pot or should I shoot for 9 gallon batches! I just couldn't handle 5 gallons at a time anymore! NEED MORE BEER

where did you find a pot that big for that price! shipped!

Send me a PM if you don't want to share publicly. That is a deal and a half!

Well, you'd need to start with about 11.5-12 gallons to boil down to 10 gallons or 10.5 gallons. I only make 5 gallons in my 30 quart pot, and it's barely big enough. So, I'd say that making 10 gallons in a 12.5 gallon pot would be very difficult, especially if you're starting with 11.5 gallons. You could use fermcap and watch the boil very closely, or make smaller batches.

I brew all grain, so I think I am just going to do 9 gallon batches and split the primary fermention up between two 5 gallon glass carboys outfitted with blow off tubes. This way I can dry hop one half and not the other or other cool stuff. I would rather boil with 9 gallons and be able to get a good rolling boil going.

Buy'em up guys, I researched for a very long time and this is by far the best deal I have found, the free shipping is the kicker.

http://www.instawares.com/stock-pot-aluminum-50.alsksp008.0.7.htm

I didn't spring for a lid, Palmer says not to use one during the boil, so as far as I am concerned they aren't necassary. Now I have to build my wort chiller.

I got this pot just in time to start brewing up a brew I will unveil at my super bowl party. I am thinking, since I have two months....an imperial red ale.

I do 10 gallons with a 15 gallon pot and it's a ***** for the first 15 minutes. I have at least one boil over every brew. I'm looking into a 20 gallon just so I have more room to work.
Remember, as the wort heats up it expands. My 10 gallon batches start with 13.5-14 gallons. The larger the pot the more boil-off you will get.

I have a 20.5 gallon pot and when I brew 10 gallon batches I start with 14 gallons of wort. I have come close to boiling over in the pot. Either go for a bigger pot or smaller batches

I ordered a lid for 9$, and I will probably shoot for 8.5 gallon batches..boiling 11 gallons or so. That is a nice compromise I think.

I currently brew 5 gallon batches in a 6 gallon pot, and I start my boils at 6 gallons...so I am used to watching the boilovers. I have found that first wort hopping really helps.

Guys if you start checking military surplus stores you can get the set 10 and 15 gallon pots for cheap!!!

My 10 gallon batches are 11 gallons(I demand a good 10 gallons of keggable beer from a batch) and preboil is 14.5 gallons.

I will probably boil 10 gallons in the 12.5 gallon pot and shoot for 8 gallon batches. THat sounds more feasable.

Back