American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made 2 starters cuz one was thought to be dead. i am using one to make a hefe (not yours, sorry, next time fo sho) and I was gonna make this as a quick turn. I dont want to make 2 hefes or waste the yeast

Hi I am attempting the mini mash recipe as my first brew.

I am confused at this step:

>>Add additional water, extract, and hops to the brew pot and proceed like usual.>>

How much add'l water do I add? And confused to what the add'l extract is...

thanks for your help.

Hi I am attempting the mini mash recipe as my first brew.

I am confused at this step:

>>Add additional water, extract, and hops to the brew pot and proceed like usual.>>

How much add'l water do I add? And confused to what the add'l extract is...

thanks for your help.

1. Additonal water to make it to your boil volume. (final batch volume+boil off amount)
2. Additional extract to make up the difference from the amount of fermentable sugars you got from the mini mash and the required amount of fermentable sugars you need. You are only getting partial amount of fermentables from the grain, you make up the rest with extract.

Brewed 10 gallons of this sucker this weekend -- it came out right at 1.051 -- maybe my best brew yet.

I pitched a Starter of WLP001 into one 5.5 gallon carboy and a properly rehydrated Danstar Nottingham yeast into the other 5.5 gallon carboy.

The Nottingham went absolutely nuts, I mean - NUTS. If I didn't have my blowoff tube installed, it would've been a gusher. WLP001 is doing really well too, very healthy fermenation.

I'll post my post-fermentation recap after I get these things fermented out, conditioned, and kegged.

Heya,
I've got this in primary and on the 4th day it finished out at 1.011 - it has sat at 1.011 and now on the 6th day I decided to rack to secondary, but first I tasted a sample and I'm getting a strong diacetyl taste off it and not much hop aroma. Is this normal? I used nottingham yeast exactly to the recipe - there's still quite a bit of yeast in suspension and it's still very cloudy - could this diacetyl taste be from the yeast and not from the beer its self?

Should I:
A) Leave in primary until the taste goes away
B) Rack to secondary and add gelatine finings and leave for 2 weeks to clear before kegging
C) Rack to secondary, add gelatine finings, and crash cool then keg as soon as it's clear?

Thanks
H

Heya,
I've got this in primary and on the 4th day it finished out at 1.011 - it has sat at 1.011 and now on the 6th day I decided to rack to secondary, but first I tasted a sample and I'm getting a strong diacetyl taste off it and not much hop aroma. Is this normal? I used nottingham yeast exactly to the recipe - there's still quite a bit of yeast in suspension and it's still very cloudy - could this diacetyl taste be from the yeast and not from the beer its self?

Should I:
A) Leave in primary until the taste goes away
B) Rack to secondary and add gelatine finings and leave for 2 weeks to clear before kegging
C) Rack to secondary, add gelatine finings, and crash cool then keg as soon as it's clear?

Thanks
H

I'm seeing the same damn thing from my nottingham -- I'm letting it sit on primary a couple more weeks (for a total amount of time in primary of 3 weeks). The WLP001 batch sitting next to it is looking crystal clear in comparison.

I want to put mine into the secondary in the next day or so. that will be either 9 or 10 days, depending on when I do it.

How long should I do in the seconadary before I bottle?

Took a sample today, it's down to 1.008, and the diacetyl taste has faded dramatically - it still smells like butter, but much less than before, so I'm going to leave it for another 3 days in primary before racking to secondary, crash cooling, and adding gelatine.

The biggest problem I have with this recipe is I can't leave the damn tapper alone. I'm soon going to bring all my picnic tappers to work and leave them there so I don't drink at the beer at night...;)

$22.00 for a batch of this. I added 1/2 pound of Crystal and went with 80L instead as well. I am hopping for a little bit darker/redder beer.

The hops I got are also higher in BU's as well. Which is fine by me....:)

I am transfering the first batch to secondary today. Can't wait to taste a sample :D

$22.00 for a batch of this. I added 1/2 pound of Crystal and went with 80L instead as well. I am hopping for a little bit darker/redder beer.

The hops I got are also higher in BU's as well. Which is fine by me....:)

I am transfering the first batch to secondary today. Can't wait to taste a sample :D

BMW has it for $19 w/o any changes, it's definitely an economical recipe. $3 more isn't bad at all for the changes. I prefer hoppier beers, mine still has another 8 or 9 days left to bottle condition to make a judgment call on it but tasted pretty good when I racked it to my bottling bucket.

BMW has it for $19 w/o any changes, it's definitely an economical recipe. $3 more isn't bad at all for the changes. I prefer hoppier beers, mine still has another 8 or 9 days left to bottle condition to make a judgment call on it but tasted pretty good when I racked it to my bottling bucket.

Add in the gas it takes for me to drive south 25 minutes (IF traffic is good) and I'm paying a bit more. But I like being able to shoot the poop with the folks at the store. Pretty excited about this recipe.:)

What do you guys think about throwing in 1/2oz whole cascade into the primary after fermentation is complete and dry hopping for a week before racking to a keg?

My Edwort's Haus Pale is ready... just looking for the go/no-go.

Looks like I'll be doing this again tomorrow. My hops are 8.7 IBU.

So, for more bitter, I add more towards the start of the boil. to add more aroma (and somehow more bitter because taste is mostly smell) I add towards the end.

when should I add the hops for a hoppier beer while still using the two ounces of good green stuff I have?

Ed, sorry to bother you but do you always batch sparge this? tomorrow I want to fly sparge it, 10 gallon batch (12.5 to 13 in keggle).

Is this ok?

* Heat 1.25 quarts of water per pound (21lbs) of grain to 170 degrees.
* Add hot water to mash vessel along with your thermometer.
* Mix in crushed grains when water temperature reaches 168°F. Stir until no large, dry clumps remain.
* Check temperature after about 5 minutes. Ideal temperature is 154°F. Adjust temperature if cooler than 145°F or warmer than 158°F.
* Cover mash and leave undisturbed for one hour.
* Fill to top of 10gal rubbermail 180 degree mashout, stir and let rest 10 minutes.
* Vorluof (excuse spelling)
* Heat sparge water to about 180 degrees F.
* sparge at 1 quart per 90 seconds.
* Collect 12.5 gallons of wort in your brew kettle.

Does this sound right? Can anyone check my numbers or suggest anything that will help improve my first AG, and first 10Gal batch?

Thanks

Looks like I'll be doing this again tomorrow. My hops are 8.7 IBU.

when should I add the hops for a hoppier beer while still using the two ounces of good green stuff I have?

well? how come no one replies to me in this thread? Do I smell or look funny?:eek:

Sorry, it was clear to me...:D

I guess I want all of them? I want this batch, if possible to be a little more aimed towards the non-bmc drinkers.

I thought if the AA(sorry, thought it was IBU?, they say "8.7" on the package) was higher then your suggested recipe, I may be able to achive this.?

thanks.

How long does this Notingham yeast take to fire off? I pitched it directly into my primary and the wort was at 80. The package said to start the yeast in water that was 88-93 or so. Should I have followed this step?

Right now the wort is at 74.

My last batch using notty it took 5 days to start showing airlock movement.
I since have switched to Safale 05 which started within 12 hours. I repitched twice over the yeast cake and all 3 batches were excellent!
I believe I will do this again but will still use the 05.

I've heard complains about the Notty in the new packaging having a slow start and a sluggish fermentation.

How long does this Notingham yeast take to fire off? I pitched it directly into my primary and the wort was at 80. The package said to start the yeast in water that was 88-93 or so. Should I have followed this step?

Right now the wort is at 74.

You should be fine. RDWHAHB. By morning it will be going full force.

:D it was morning when I asked that question. It's still not going.. I suspect it may be going a tad bit, just because it smells like yeast in the closet,but I see no activity in my blow off tube....

I'm relaxed, just curious.:)

oh, I made bread w/ the spent grains. SOOOO GOOOOD.

Back