Berliner Weisse Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newkarian

Reaction score
Planning on brewing a no-boil BW this weekend. Only problem is I dont have any german noble hops on hand. I have tons of american c hops, amarillo, etc. I also have fuggles and goldings. I will be doing a mash hop for this with a below 10 IBU. Which would you guys use? The fuggle or the golding?

I think either one would work fine. I used Willamette (which I believe are a fuggle derivative) on my no-boil Berliner and like the results.

Are you doing a decoction? Otherwise your IBUs will be 0.

yes i plan on doing a double decoction with rests at 135 and 149

Cool, I was really happy with my batch (.5 oz of hops in 3.5 gallons). What are you going with for yeast/bacteria? I used the Wyeast blend, but I’ll have to find an alternative since it doesn’t sound like that is coming back any time soon.

Planning on using Wyeast 5335 for the Lacto and US-05 for the Sach. I will make a 1.5L starter of Lacto and pitch it about 48hrs ahead of the Sach. Do you think around 1oz of fuggle would be good for 5.5 gals.

Sounds like a good plan to me, remember to post your results eventually.

Will do. I also have a Strong dark belgian that I bretted last may that is smelling great. Will have to bottle it soon. I is basically a rodenbach 8 clone that mutated. OG 1.10 SG last time i checked 1.08

Sounds very tasty, I did something similar a few years back, but also added some dark cherries (ala Cuvee Tomme), ended up as one of the best batches I have made. I’m thinking of doing it again this year once cherry season rolls around, probably trying a blend of dark and sour cherries this time though for a bit more “pop”

Sour cherry sounds good. Ive also dumped the dregs from Rodenbach gran cru, Renee Cuvee, and Fantome in. Has a beautiful pellicle that my SWMBO is afraid of.

Well my brew day got delayed as it was somewhat difficult to find the lacto. Finally have it in my hands and was just wondering if you guys think a starter is necessary? I am contemplating just pitching the lacto 48hrs ahead of the US-05 so it can get a good hold on the beer.

That is what I did. Just pitch the Lacto 48 hours before the other yeast. You can do it at the same time too. Since the yeast is most likely the largest cost in the batch you might want to pour another batch right on the cake.

Finally got around to brewing this today. Edited the recipe to what I did. Came out with a OG of 1.035 which is 84.5% efficiency.:rockin: Plan on pitching the Lacto as soon as the wort cools to 95F.

Berliner Weisse
Est OG 1.031
Est FG 1.005
Est IBU 3-5
Color 2.5 SRM
5.5gal no boil

3# German Pilsner
3# Light wheat malt
1oz fuggle mash hop
Lactobaccilus Wyeast 5335
S-05

Protein rest 122F 20min
Sach rest 135 75min
Sach rest 149 60min
Mash out 170 10min
All temps were met with decoction boils to gain some IBU out of the mash hop and drive of DMS as this is a no boil recipe. Pitch lactobaccilus at 95F and let it ferment for 48hrs. Pitch S-05 at 65F and let it go till its done. Will probably primary for 2wks then do an extended secondary until it is sour enough. Will bottle at around 3-3.5 vols CO2.

How did this go? I'm doing some research on a Berliner-Rye I want to try soon and the no boil sounds like a real winner.

I am starting a berliner weisse next weekend and am just going to use a simple single infusion mash and fifteen minute boil with willamette.. going to pitch a wl lacto culture 48 hours in advance of the sacc. I have notty and wl trappist ale blend in the fridge. How do you think it would turn out with the trappist blend? In my mind the phenolics would work with the sour, but not sure if it will work in practice. any opinion? (sorry to hijack)

so to the OP, what exactly do you mean by double decoction mash? I've done a couple dozen PG/AG batches, all using single temp infusion method. I've heard the term (and others) but am unclear on the process.

Edit: I just noticed that this thread is ressurected from the dead.. hallelujah!

Sure it'll work.

I like to try to add a little something to berliner weisse, since I am not the biggest fan of syrups in them and alone they are a bit one dimensional.

This recipe turned out great. Still have some bottles left that are very good. Won a silver at Music City Brewoff. Is very tart and reminds me of granny smith apples cheers.

Latest posts

Back