Anyone in okinawa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, I am stationed in Tokyo and wanted to know if you knew where I could find one of those Co2 adapters. Either one for the tank or one for the regulator, either way is fine. I have been looking for weeks but all I found was a place that rented out tanks, but not regulators. The problem being that my regulator is US standard.

The local places that rent CO2 here also sell the adapters. Don't know where they would be sold other than the gas places. Sorry, little help from me.

Chap said:
The local places that rent CO2 here also sell the adapters. Don't know where they would be sold other than the gas places. Sorry, little help from me.

Hey if I sent you some cash do you think you could hook me up?

Hey if I sent you some cash do you think you could hook me up?

Yeah that shouldn't be a problem but I hope you aren't in a hurry. I won't be able to get to the gas place until next Saturday at the earliest. I'm assuming you have an FPO/APO address? My receipt from last years looks like I paid ~2700 Yen, should still be pretty close to that.

Chap said:
I'm on Kadena (work on Courtney), if you ever want to stop by to brew or have a brew just let me know. Hopefully brewing a Barley Wine this weekend and a Dunkelweizen and IPA in the upcoming weeks!

Okinawans-

I'm a beginning brewer, about to bottle my first batch of pale ale. Good to know there are others on island. I'm on Kadena, would love to get some pointers from more experienced folks. I'll probably grow impatient with my batch (7 days in the secondary) since the typhoon has us trapped in the house and bottle i will prematurely. It looks like I'm stuck at 1.020 anyway. Should have some finished bottles in a week or so and I'd like to share/trade with some other brewers.

Cheers
- Bill

Okinawans-

I'm a beginning brewer, about to bottle my first batch of pale ale. Good to know there are others on island. I'm on Kadena, would love to get some pointers from more experienced folks. I'll probably grow impatient with my batch (7 days in the secondary) since the typhoon has us trapped in the house and bottle i will prematurely. It looks like I'm stuck at 1.020 anyway. Should have some finished bottles in a week or so and I'd like to share/trade with some other brewers.

Cheers
- Bill

Bill,
Welcome. I'm in Jennings by the Olympic shoppette. Racked an American Wheat onto 5lbs of raspberries yesterday, hopefully it will be ready in a week or 2. Have a IPA/APA and Brown Ale on tap. Would love to share/ trade.

Howdy Howdybilly,
Also in Jennings on Kadena here. I've got a few bottles of nut brown ales left and have a pumpkin ale sitting in the primary. Looking into all-grain brewing soon, just haven't pulled the trigger on the few new purchases I'd need. I'll be able to share the pumpkin ale by the second week of September, cheers!

Thanks for the response, I went ahead and bottled the pale ale- it kept the kids occupied during the typhoon. Looking forward to some feedback when these are ready.

Hey Bill!

I'm on Kadena over by Jack's Place and I kept the kids busy capping my porter for the typhoon...let me know if you want to a little swapping. I've only got a couple of brews under my belt so, buyer beware!

Ben

Also just got to Kadena, over in Stearly Heights. Waiting on HHG before I brew, probably 2nd weekend in Nov... Looks like I'll try and join that FB page as well. Confirm no real issues getting yeast from Midwest or another online HB store? I'll also need directions to the CO2 refill place. My comm skills off base are not so good so if someone can tell me exactly what to ask for that would be great. I saw something about an adapter and that we can rent the keg, are the guys at the store helpful?

Thanks,
Scar

Welcome to the island! If you want faster replys to Oki specific things you'll get a faster response on the Okinawa Brewers Facebook page. :mug:

Im looking to meet up with other home brewers...i come to oki next week and will be around for about 6 months. Pm me or email me using gmail...jason613 is what goes before the@ sign.

Cheers

For any brewers new to Okinawa looking for a place to fill tanks, this is what I've found out. Okano Gas Company (link below) will fill your U.S. tank after it passes inspection. The inspection costs around $42 and takes about 3-4 weeks; it's good for 4 years. Once it passes inspection, you must pay an additional $6 for certification. Certification is good for one year and you must present it to Okano each time you want your tank filled. After the certification is no longer valid you just pay another $6 for new certification paperwork. It costs less than $20 to fill a 5lb tank.

As far as ingredients go, I'm ordering from Jasper's Homebrew and Wine Making (link below). They shipped after 1 day. They have a good selection of kits that they build once ordered.

There is also a local nano brewery; Okinawa Brewing Company. They may be willing to provide a yeast sample if you ask nicely, but I cannot confirm this (link also below). Their tap room opens the weekend of the 18th; located right outside of Torii Station.

http://okinawa-okano.co.jp/e2906849.html

http://www.boomchugalug.com/

http://www.okinawabrewingcompany.com/

Hey all, I know this thread is a bit old, but if any of you island brewers are still around, perhaps you could help me locate some carboys on Okinawa? I'm not sure they would arrive in good condition, or at all if I tried Amazon.

Hey all, I know this thread is a bit old, but if any of you island brewers are still around, perhaps you could help me locate some carboys on Okinawa? I'm not sure they would arrive in good condition, or at all if I tried Amazon.

Ive got a few better bottles if you want them. A 6 gal, and a few 5's.

Hello, I know this thread has been dead for a long time. I just moved to Okinawa 2 weeks ago. I'm still waiting on my brew supplies to show up. Just wondering if there is anyone else in the kadena area brewing beer?

I PCS'd a while back but if you go to Face Book (Okinawa Brewing Enthusiast Entertainment and Recreation) you can link up with the local brewers.

Check the Japan group and the Homebrewing in Japan thread by OppamaBrendan. Several active members spread out across Japan on here, but FB groups seem to have waaaay more.

Hello, I know this thread has been dead for a long time. I just moved to Okinawa 2 weeks ago. I'm still waiting on my brew supplies to show up. Just wondering if there is anyone else in the kadena area brewing beer?

Hey Mike, I just PCS'ed to kadena in January. I am also looking to link up with fellow home brewers. I just brewed up an IPA a few weeks ago, waiting on some co2 so I can keg the thing!

There is a place right off base where you can lease a c02 tank. I'm still waiting on Tmo so I haven't had the opportunity to brew any beer yet. You should let me know the next time you brew. I'd love to help out

There is a place right off base where you can lease a c02 tank. I'm still waiting on Tmo so I haven't had the opportunity to brew any beer yet. You should let me know the next time you brew. I'd love to help out

Ha, sounds good. It was great getting back into brewing again after a 6 month hiatus for PCSing. My neighbors probably thought I was cooking meth with all the equipment outside. Can you provide details for the place that leases co2? I have the lines and ball valves, I just need a tank and regulator.

BTW, I just got back from a trip to the US and brought back all the fixings for a Kolsch, I'll let you know. :mug:

I'm not sure what the places are called, but I have them pinned on my apple maps. If you have an iPhone I can send you a map. Hopefully you can also lease a regulator. Most people around here buy an adapter to use US regulator. I made the mistake of selling mine before leaving

Right on, it dawned on me that our squadron bar has a kegerator, I should just hijack that thing for kegging snd distribution. :)

I haven't even bothered from the states. I looked at a few Japanese websites online and their even pricier than US costs.

Hello all. I PCS to the lovely tropical paradise of Okinawa at the end of the month. I'm familiar with the island since I just got back a few months ago from a short rotation there. I didn't get any exposure to the Homebrew scene while I was out there last. I've browsed through the thread to get a feel for the challenges that await my home brewing endeavors over the next few years and was hoping a few of you could point me toward some more recent information. I'm particularly concerned with the procurement of ingredients, in particular yeast. Since starting I've always relied on local suppliers for all my ingredients and was looking into online distributors but haven't had much luck with finding a viable option for shipping overseas. Where do most of you get your ingredients from?

Just got to Oki a few months ago and brewed my first island batch last week. Pitched a packet of Wyeast that I was pretty sure was dead (forgot to get a backup pack of dry yeast). Took about a week, but it's chugging along.

Hopefully everything was sanitary...

I left oki last November after 3 years. I absolutely loved it there. I'm itching to get back.

Hey guys, I live in Okinawa Japan and am looking for 15 gallon kegs. Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone willing to sell me any? Id like three to convert to keggles.

Anyone homebrew out here in Oki? Im here for a short time and would to just hang out and maybe collaborate on some beer!

There are many people brewing in oki. Look up Okinawa Brewing Enthusiast on Facebook. It's a fairly active page

Back