topping off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnDeFiNeD_EK-808

Reaction score
So i cant boil a total of water to equal the full 5 gallon batch. So this being said wat is if any problems with not hitting that 5 gallon mark on point. I just finished a brew and after i airated im a little over cause of the bubbles.

Nothing wrong with boiling as much as you can and then topping up to 5 gal after the boil. You gravity reading should be your guide on how much you top up to. If you don't have a hydrometer, they are cheap and very useful. Odds are you're probably fine if you are close to 5 gallons though.

I top off to the total liquid volume in the recipe/kit. All else being equal,you should be in range for the listed OG.

If you are 1 milliliter over or under your beer will be ruined. Better get it EXACTLY to 5 gallons.

Naw, I'm just kidding. I usually eyeball it with the markings on my bucket. I wouldn't sweat it being slightly over or under. Now, don't be 1/2 gallon over or under, unless it makes sense for your gravity reading. As suggested, I highly recommend taking gravity readings to know where you stand with your beer. Good luck!

Since I strain all going into the fermenter,I don't account for trub/yeast as I only get about 3/8" trub. It compacts down to that after 3 weeks in primary.
I still get 48-52 bottles out of 5 gallons.

Since I strain all going into the fermenter,I don't account for trub/yeast as I only get about 3/8" trub. It compacts down to that after 3 weeks in primary.
I still get 48-52 bottles out of 5 gallons.

Are there any disadvantages from straining before fermintation? Cause if there arent any seems like a good way to introduce some oxygen to the wort..

No. Hop utilization is done in the boil. So those hops can be safely strained out going into the fermenter. It won't effect the intended flavor/aroma.

Back