First Newb Idea need advice and info PLZ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeerbeerbeerbeerbeer-

Reaction score
I have an American Brown Ale extract kit w/specialty grains(which the grains taste delicious btw), 5 gallon. This will be my first brew ever, and will be doing a full volume boil outside on my new banjo bayou cooker and 7.5 oz ss pot. I ordered a whole mess of things from northern brewer, as I plan to all-grain it as well as extract brew for parties and such. Ive spent so much money, (not a good idea for a pizza delivery boy) so looks like ill be broke for a while. O well Ill have booze.

TO THE POINT SORRY THIS IS SO LONG

In the order I got hard Belgian candi sugar, light and dark, 2 lbs each. I really want to use(I guess the dark) in this recipe as my inner infant brewer thinks it will make something wonderful and unique, hopefully. Should I replace the priming sugar? If I add it to the boil and then later prime im sure ill get a ruined pantry right? But if I just ad it just to the boil will it carbonate later in bottles? What about adding it after fermentation, will that carb it? How much should I use? What about a little of priming and a little candi? I wont be changing anything else, maybe easing up on the bittering a tad.

Im crossing my fingers hoping everyone wont just tell me to stick to the recipe for my first time brewing, I know it would be a good idea. But none the less ive got this sugar im going to use sooner or later and need to know how to use it. Thanks a bunch guys, this site has helped me a whole hec of a lot in planning my brew life. Could use a pros knowledge on this part.

O and I lied this won't be my first brew, Ive planned a sake gig for tomorrow. Hea hea heee. If you ve got warning advice about that, please post too. Thanks again.

1). Good to see you got a 7.5 GAL. Pot. The 7.5oz pot you mentioned seemed a bit small ;)

2). I know you don't want to hear it, but don't start messing around on your first brew. Give yourself a few to learn the process before changing things up ... Trust me, you'll be thankful for the experience.

3). For info on candi sugar, I suggest you read here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/invert-sugar-candy-sugar-8359/. It's packed with information on candi sugar.

I saw your other thread and the kit you have is Caribou Slobber, right? I would definitely agree that you shouldn't alter this recipe - just brew it according to directions. This kit is used and loved by a lot of people (not just noobs) so don't mess with it - you'll get a great beer in the end.

If you don't have the funds to stock up on books to learn even more, you can read on older version of "How to Brew" by John Palmer for free!

Good luck and welcome to a fine hobby!

definatly will not change a thing. Thanks. I'm now looking for tasty extract recipes that call for candi sugar. Know of any good ones? Im going to switch up my brew dates and do the caribou brown ale in just couple of hours. Wish me luck. O and yea I knew id get caught, feel bad joining twice, but i couldnt access my old email for the life of me so i had to change it. sorry for taking 2 cool names. If someone could tell the site manager to delete GiantPanda, that would be great. Sorry and thanks again.

Thanks guys. Brew day went awesome and is fermenting away! I only broke a crappy thermometer (in the sanitizer) and left the spigot open while trying to re sanitize my floor but other than that its all good. Is my bottling bucket still good or do I need a new one because of that? Seems everyone broke theirs in their wort. Ouch.

Back