3 oz of EKGs - 1 Brew or 3

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blow the whole wad on one brew, or split them up.

• Use all the hops in a Robbust Porter

• Split the hops into 2 - 3 brews

Results are only viewable after voting.

bigben

Reaction score
I got 3 oz of East Kent Goldings for a Robust Porter I was planning to brew....

But it sounds like my LHBS may not be getting more EKGs for a while, so I was thinking maybe it would be better to split these 3 oz over 2-3 brews rather than all in one.

So what would you do? Blow the whole wad on a Robust Porter or make 3 Milds or something?

EDIT: These are pellet hops with a 4.5% AA

Yea, that is probably the best thing to do under current circumstances.

Note: I can't believe I spelled Robust wrong in the poll. My ESB(1st AG, woot!) must be getting to me :)

bradsul said:
Don't waste the EKG on bittering. Use something else for that and you can probably get 2 batches with flavour and aroma of EKG instead.
That's an excellent idea Bradsul, thanks!

paulthenurse said:
+1 Lots of things you can use for pure bittering. Save the EKG.
+2 Last time I placed an order I picked up a bunch of hops I havn't tried before but were priced very reasonably. Some of the favs like EKG and Cascade were priced out of reason. So I plan on experimenting with various hops, especially some of the unusual high alpha hops for bittering.

Craig

I use Centennial for bittering in my Robust porter and Willamette (very similar to EKG) for flavor and aroma. I'd recommend saving half for a future brew.

I'd bitter with a high AA hop (Nugget is a good one for porters) and save the EKG for flavor/aroma.

I'm in a similar situation so my next brew will be using Northdown for bittering/ flavour and EKG for aroma. It sucks that the price of EKG has gone up so much (and availability gone down) but as someone else said, it's a good time to experiment with other hops. Anyone have any comments re: Northdown?

I actually have 3 oz. of EKGs myself, but as it stands many places are totally cleaned out of this variety. My vote is to use it sparingly and only as a flavor/aroma hop as others have already stated.

Back