Weak ginger beer..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvs-brew

Reaction score
My brew has been on over 100hrs and it's only sitting at 1.4%

I took the mid strength recipe and bulked up a 1/3 to take it up to a estimated 4-5%
(3.5% was ment to be 1kg of sugars, I put 1.5kgs)

Why and how could it only be sitting at 1.5%?
Is there anything that can be done?

I did a hydro test 2 days ago and it hasn't changed..

I

You're reading your hydrometer wrong. That scale is meant for wine and it shows the potential alcohol. You need to read the beer scale and then it takes some math to get the amount of alcohol.
What was the original gravity? It should be something like 1.054, not 17% alcohol. With that and the final gravity you can calculate the amount of alcohol in your beer.

Nah I'm reading gravity...
Og = 1040
2nd and 3rd reading = 1030

(it's a wine/beer hydrometer)

But advise me if I'm doing it wrong

Please find pic of hydrometer attached

image-927763049.jpg

My mistake. Why would your ferment stop so soon? Got a recipe so we can see what you have for fermentables. Include the yeast type too.

Recipe as follows...(sorry in Australia so measurements are in kgs/ltrs)

Coopers ginger beer lme
Supplied yeast
500g raw
500g castor
500g dex
Cascade finishing hops

To make a 20l batch

Been a steady 26 degree, so on the higher side of the fermenting temp..so I would have thought the opposite..usually my brews start quick and finish early (where I live it get pretty hot so that's the ambient temp around here...got 3 fermenters on the go ATM and all sit at a 26 degree)

Adding more yeast won't do anything will it?

Johnnyhitch1 said:
Rouse the yeast, warm it up, pitch more yeast. If all else fails pitch amylase enzyme

Heck yeah!!!
Got my heat belt...will stick it on tonight...
See how that goes.

Got more yeast in fridge so

Yeah if heat doesn't work I will try more yeast

Thanx

Anything is worth a try :)

Back