Speed Of Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingPin

Reaction score
Stupid Newb question I'm sure but can the speed of fermentation affect the overall end result (read flavour) of my root beer?

Say for example it takes 5 days to reach bottle hardness instead of 2 or 3 days.

Any ideas or comments on this might be welcome in figuring out why the flavour of my rootbeer is always very yeasty even using Champagne yeast.

King

:cross:

A long delayed answer, but one that might be useful for people.

There are only a few things you can do regarding fermentation speed, but it may result in other factors.

Yeast strain. Some yeasts act faster than others. However, each strain has their own flavor profile. (I'd consider guessing turbo yeasts might work, but they'd be more expensive and aren't as common to find. There's a strain that should be able to eat about 6kg of sugar within 24 hours. Another problem would be is that you probably have to keep an extremely close eye at this one and chill it fast, and because there's still suspended yeast, it'd be very yeasty.)

Temperature. Different strains work best in different temperature conditions. Higher temperatures generally means faster. But, yeasts at higher temperatures put off different flavors which can be detrimental to your desired soda flavor.

Nutrients. It's possible that you can add some nutrients for healthier yeast which might be able to reproduce and consume sugar faster.

Pre-hydration. Rehydrate the yeast prior to adding it to the soda.

Quantity. Not sure about this one, but you could hydrate more yeast so it doesn't populate as much. (maybe)

The yeast flavor comes from either yeast or yeast byproduct. Probably yeast. What happens is that yeast is all around in the liquid. Chilling for a long period of time or clarifiers makes them drop out of suspension. You could consider using irish moss when you make rootbeer to act as a clarifier, and also to possibly add to the froth/head of the root beer.

Back