How to make Iceberg beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boo boo

Reaction score
Well my sig is how to BBQ an elephant.. but in this case how to make an iceberg beer.. first you get your ice..

DSCF1302.jpg

DSCF1298.jpg

And it is a little tricky getting
http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/nflder/?action=view&current=DSCF1300.mp4
http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/nflder/?action=view&current=DSCF1287.mp4

But Sunday it will be made into an APA.....

DSCF1317.jpg

The ice is probably freshwater.

I'm keeping a lookout off clearwater beach for my iceberg. Can't wait!

Give that man a kewpie doll. Yep read this.

How pure is iceberg ice?
Since glacier ice is formed from falling snow and snow results from condensed water vapor in the atmosphere, the water from icebergs is quite pure. Sometimes airborne dust from volcanic eruptions or from the wind (thousands of years ago) is deposited on the surface of a glacier and gradually becomes trapped within the ice so that traces are found in icebergs. But there are not likely to be many pollutants!

I let the ice melt a bit before starting to harvest it for my use, and I also drink some of it. No salt.

I still looking off the beach here for some sun, so I guess we are even :)

Iceberg ice also takes forever to melt! If you mix a drink with it the ice chunk can last all night long! I had the idea to get some iceberg ice for a batch but you beat me to it!

Hey, you Newfies. Not to hijack your thread, but I'll be in St. Johns next week for work. Any suggestions on where to get a good beer?

Schemy said:
Hey, you Newfies. Not to hijack your thread, but I'll be in St. Johns next week for work. Any suggestions on where to get a good beer?

YellowBelly Brewery! It has a nice restaurant and a pub where you can see the fermentation vessels from your seat. They have 4-5 house brewed beers, and the Fightin' Irish Red is a favorite of mine!

Storm Brewing also makes 3-4 styles, but I'm not sure where you could buy it.

Hmmm...since that ice may well be from the end of the last ice age,names could get interesting. Noah's ale, Intrusive IPA (so called from intrusive period), Mamoth Maibock, Native APA...something like these?...

YellowBelly Brewery! It has a nice restaurant and a pub where you can see the fermentation vessels from your seat. They have 4-5 house brewed beers, and the Fightin' Irish Red is a favorite of mine!

Storm Brewing also makes 3-4 styles, but I'm not sure where you could buy it.

Thanks, I'll try to get to YellowBelly.

Didn't you do a thread about doing this 5 years ago? Someone posted something like this, it was like one of the first threads when I joined.

Yes, that was me. I have done one more in between that one and this one.
This is the one from 2008 https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/iceberg-lager-beer-65209/
The other one was an extract batch in 2005 and I don't have any pictures of it that I can recall.
Good beer.

next one he makes will be titled something along the lines of "5 gallons of beer via angel tears"

Very cool!!!! Hey that iceberg may very well contain neanderthal piss from the last ice age lol J/K I had to write it. But kidding aside its a very cool source of water. good luck with your brew.

So. Extremely. Awesome.

Brewer #1: "Yeah, I mill my own grain. I am epic."
Brewer #2: "Thats cool. I get my water from a iceberg."

You need to send some of that into Wards to be sure you have proper mineral content for yeast metabolism ;)

unionrdr said:
I wonder if they're pop top bottles? I'd like some blue ones.

They are pop tops.

I know Quidi Vidi advertise it as made with iceberg water but I find it hard to believe. How does a brewery with that output get so much ice? I think they toss a cupful into every batch, just to say there's 10,000 yr old iceberg water in there lol

They are pop tops.

I know Quidi Vidi advertise it as made with iceberg water but I find it hard to believe. How does a brewery with that output get so much ice? I think they toss a cupful into every batch, just to say there's 10,000 yr old iceberg water in there lol

Well if you ask your F-I-L about the time when the harvested ice was landed in Heart's Delight, I think you would know that they do get a large amount of ice.
I got some of that ice myself and made my first iceberg beer with it.

And I don't think that the production of their beer is a very large one.... but I really don't know. I must ask the owner when I talk to him next time.

But I think that at that time the ice was for Iceberg Vodka and not for QV. QV didn't make Iceberg beer at that time.

I have never even heard of this, I'm so intrigued! I'm no where near an iceberg so my hopes are a bit dampened...

Shoot, I missed this post.
You still around these parts or will be coming back if you have left?
If so, we could get together for a pint some night.

Back