Thermometer Addition to a Igloo MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wgeronimo

Reaction score
I was thinking about adding a thermometer to my MLT (10 gal igloo round) to better monitor mash temps. After doing a bit of reading people seem to recommend using a solid stopper (hole drilled through the middle).

Two questions
1) Can I use a step drill bit to make the hole in the cooler (most people recommend a 3/4" to 1" hole in the MLT)?
2) Can I use this cheap taylor thermometer (the stem is only 5")?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
A longer probe would be better but I'm sure you could make that work. Step bits make a mess out of every material I've seen them used on. I'd get a good bi metal hole saw. That way you'll have it around when you need to drill holes for shanks in your kegerator.

I had one in and took it out. I was sick of banging into it every time I was stirring with my mash paddle. I find it is better for me to mash in and measure the very center of the mash. This was it is one spot always and I adjust from there if needed.

I was thinking of doing this, but I was going to put the thermometer through the lid so it wouldn't be in the way while stirring. IIRC, I couldn't find a thermometer of the length I wanted.

Maybe a thermowell with a STC-1000 used only as a thermometer would be the way to go.

I did this with my 10 gallon rubbermaid, and it works just fine. As mentioned above you will have to be careful stirring because of the probe inside but for me it wasn't that big of a deal. I went to bargainfittings.com and got their 3" face thermometer with the 6" probe.

mash tun.jpg

Latest posts

Back