Clarity.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A nice clear beer is something to be proud of.
I have never put real effort into getting a clear beer or let it spoil my enjoyment of a beer.

I like the KISS method of brewing and also like to naturally carb (Not forced)

When I was in Ireland I found a great source of Irish moss which I normally use anyway.

I have since quadrupled the amount I use in my beer.

Here's my latest Blonde. (sorry third picture's out of focus and crap)
blondebeer2ub4.jpg

The hop logo is on the back of the glass.
pict00012nc7.jpg

blondebeerwh2.jpg

I really like that top shot -- very illustrative photo! Holding a crystal clear glass of beer sure increases its appeal, doesn't it!

So far, I have been really lucky with all my beers -- I have never had a clarity problem, and I am usually surprised at how clear my beers have ended up, particularly since I have been avoiding a secondary. I faithfully use Irish moss now, and will often use gelatin finings in the keg, too. But personally, I think patience is the key ingredient to clear beer.

Irish moss helps, but there is no point in using more than the recommended amount. In fact, the packet I have recommends using less (1/2 teaspoon in 5 gallons) than most recipes!

Time is more important in most styles.

I'm using 2 tablespoons of rinsed Irish moss and it has helped. I was using a teaspoon.
I was wary of increasing the amount because it does have a salty sea taste but at that level it is not perceivable. I think the increase amount makes it more effective and less time critical. I put it in 5 minutes before the end of the boil and I don't use any other clearing agent or method.

This batch of Blonde is Crystal clear.

when i brew in the winter and my chilling water is in the high 30's to low 40's, i get a great cold break and no chill haze in the finished beer. i use irsh moss tablets too in the boil.
my other season brews do have a chill haze - more pronounced in the summertime brews.
i read with interest biermunchers use of gelatin and did an experiment with my last two batches.
1 carboy i added gelatin to the room temp beer, then put the carboy in my ice box for a week at temps 38-41 degrees.
the other carboy had no gelatin added but was also cooled for a week in the ice box.
after bottling and carbing for only 1 week so far - i chilled one bottle from each batch.
neither exhibited any chill haze whereas the same recipe brewed a month earlier had noticable haze on chilling. i think it is the time at the cool temps that causes the proteins that form the haze to drop. maybe the gelatin causes it to occur faster?
it is nice to serve a clear beer to friends and not have to explain that chill haze won't hurt them.

i don't over chill the good stuff either, but i made a low hop ale for the guys at work and got some complaints about the haze when they used their frozen mugs(cringes)

I've heard (I think from BasicBrewingRadio) that using 2 tsps of Irish moss helps a lot with clarity. Never tried it, though.

Back