carbing at room temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeavyHandedBrewing

Reaction score
I have been kegging for about a year now. I want to bring a keg of ipa with me on a weekend get away for memorial weekend. I plan on carbing the keg at room temp then transporting it and cooling the keg on sight. I have never legged at room temp before. I think 28 psi is right but if anyone has done this before please let me know.

I did this with my first few kegs, whilst I awaited the "completion" of my keezer. Worked great. Just had to turn up the CO2 a bit as it doesn't dissolve as well at higher temps. I think I ran about 25PSI in my basement for, at least, two weeks.

When I got the temp controller running, I put them in the keezer at serving, 8ish PSI, and they were great. Adjust the temp/psi as needed for your batch, of course. You may want to allow for several hours cooling/adjusting when you arrive at the party. Overnight or longer would even be better, but you don't mention how you'll be storing/serving a this party.

Here is a handy chart: http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

I think 28 psi is right but if anyone has done this before please let me know.

Depends on the actual temp and desired carbonation level. Unfortunately the chart linked above only goes up to 65F and 30 psi, but by looking at the curves you should be able to guess a pretty good pressure if your "room temp" isn't too much warmer. I've carbed at 35psi and 75F before, which seemed to result in similar carbonation to what I usually aim for, which is 2.25-2.5 vol.

FWIW I always transfer to a clean keg shortly before I transport a keg anywhere. This allows you to rack off of the sediment so it doesn't get stirred up during the ride.

Sugar prime that keg, you have time!!!!!! 1/3 cup per 5 gal corn sugar disolved and boiled in 8 oz of water.

add to keg

put 10lb of co2 on keg to seal gaskets

remove from gas

wait 2 weeks (or more)

check

if needs more time let keg rest until serving time, and pour done deal (may need to back down your serving pressure, to compensate for co2 generated by yeast)

Save yourself the gas! corn sugar is cheaper!

Thanks for the great advise. To clarify, I will be bringing the keg down for a long weekend, cooling it overnight for a Saturday afternoon turkey fry. I will be using one of those little co2 pressure dispensers that are used only for dispensing. Not sure if I will use a party tap or take one of my perlick taps off my kegerator to bring down. Room temp around me for the time of year will be 70 to 75.
I have never used corn sugar in a keg. Does that create a lot of sediment? Cost is not an issue with the co2 as the local fire extinguisher store fills my 5 lbs take for $5. Thanks again for the great advise. I am excited as this will be my first time bring a keg of homebrew to a party and I don't want to disappointed. The IPA I will be bringing I have made and kegged several times and everyone loves it.

Back