Brewing my first batch right now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCatman

Reaction score
I just started my first batch of homebrew! It's the porter extract kit from Midwest. My specialty grains have been steeping for about 10 minutes, and I think I'm hooked for good...this smell is incredible. :mug:

Hope to be starting my second batch this weekend, so I know what you're saying. Yes, I'm hooked, and already planning for the rest of my equipment.

I just started my first batch of homebrew! It's the porter extract kit from Midwest. My specialty grains have been steeping for about 10 minutes, and I think I'm hooked for good...this smell is incredible. :mug:

I know where you're at, drinking my first. Plan to bottle second batch on Thursday or Saturday depending on gravity readings. Planning 3rd batch (all grain) as soon as the primary fermenter is empty. I am soooo hooked!

Just wait until the ferment is over and you get a whiff of the beer. Just don't stick your nose in the bucket to do it as the bucket will have a layer of CO2 that will burn your nose good.

Just wait until the ferment is over and you get a whiff of the beer. Just don't stick your nose in the bucket to do it as the bucket will have a layer of CO2 that will burn your nose good.

Haha I'll try to remember that.

I took a whiff of the Willamette after opening the packet...so yummy :)

I know where you're at, drinking my first. Plan to bottle second batch on Thursday or Saturday depending on gravity readings. Planning 3rd batch (all grain) as soon as the primary fermenter is empty. I am soooo hooked!

Pssst, my homebrew shop sells plastic fermenter buckets for only about $15 with lid and airlock. You could have more batches going at once if you had more fermenters. I have 3 now and sometimes I wish I had 4.

Welcome to the obsession! A piece of advice I wish I heeded 30 batches ago: if u are planning for equip upgrades and have the space/dough, make fermentation temp control a HIGH priority. Craig's list chest freezer and temp controller at a minimum, and on up.

If you think the smell of those specialty grains is nice, just wait until you step into all grain. The smell of the full, hot mash tun is heavenly!

Good luck with the brew! :mug:

RM-MN said:
Pssst, my homebrew shop sells plastic fermenter buckets for only about $15 with lid and airlock. You could have more batches going at once if you had more fermenters. I have 3 now and sometimes I wish I had 4.

Yes, more primary buckets are on the list... Just need more funds, 2 days till payday. Priority is getting all needed items for all grain and controlled fermentation temps. Think I have the all grain pretty well covered at this point, so on to temp controls.

First batch is now bottled. I got 49.5 bottles out of it, and I'm planning on giving them a month to carb and condition. I don't have high expectations for this batch; I know where and how I screwed up, but now my fermenter is open again so I can get right on to the next batch!

Being that your beer is a porter leaving them a month to carbonate and condition is a good idea. However, your porter may not be at it's best (almost certainly) at that time so try to save a few for another couple months to see the changes it goes through.

Back