Spalt Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axegod

Reaction score
Hello,

I have some Spalt hops - and will use them in an upcoming lager.
I have read some descriptions on the ingredients/hops page here.

Does anyone have any more first hand info/experience on these hops in terms of flavour/characteristics?

Cheers.

Dusseldorf? Komisch! Das Spalt gebiet is Sud von Nurnberg und West von Ingolstadt zwischen Ingolstadt und Augsburg. :D

(Dusseldorf? Funny? The Spalt region is south of Nurnberg and west of Ingolstadt between Ingolstadt and Augsburg).

It is mainly used as a finishing hop.

I used it for flavor and aroma in my Kolsch. I am not familiar enough to really say much beyond what the text books say about it, but I like my Kolsch so it must not be bad.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have switched to lagers since going AG....so I am using one hop at a time (per brew) so I can get more familiar with them. I love Saaz and Hersbrucker. I have the Clone brews book - but there wasn't a commercial example of something that used Spalt.

I will report back on Spalt in a few months.
Cheers.

homebrewer_99 said:
Dusseldorf? Komisch! Das Spalt gebiet is Sud von Nurnberg und West von Ingolstadt zwischen Ingolstadt und Augsburg. :D

Ja, klar, aber es ist als Altbier Hopfen benutz trotzdem. :cross:

I have used Spalt in my Kolsch and Alts as a bitter/flavoring hop--usually with several additions at the 30 and 45 minute marks of a 60 minute boil. I'd describe it as somewhat spicey and earthy, a little floral. I really like it but i went so far as to do a double Alt with nothing but Spalt hops and was disappointed in the result. I do not think it has enough all-around properties to carry a beer. Mixed with Hallertau and or saaz it is great. my two cents.

IMO, mixing your hops really does improve the flavor.

I've done all one hop recipes (mostly HWs) with success, but some ales tasted really bad (Northern Brewer, Cascades) for weeks before they got to taste good (IMO).

I've come to add Saaz hops at the end of the brew to mellow out the harshness of the bittering hops. Works for my taste buds anyway. :)

Back