suspended yeast how to clear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjr9175

Reaction score
I recently brewed a scottish export 80 all went well. 1 week primary 2 weeks secondary force carbed in keg been sitting 2 weeks Ive tried a few pints and have alot of suspended yeast beer is not clear looks cloudy like a wheat would I was wondering if I added biofine clear now would this clear this beer? If anyone has used this product please let me know cause i really like this beer just not the residual yeast.

The first few pints are going to be extra cloudy because everything that was in suspension in the fermenters is falling out. Once you get all the sediment out, it should start to clear up on its own. Just make sure you aren't shaking the keg too much.

What yeast did you use? Assuming it's a pretty flocculent British strain, I wouldn't worry about it now. But in the future, using fining agents when you cold crash / keg really speeds up the process. I use gelatin and 2 or 3 days after kegging the first pint comes out like a thin yeast slurry, then it's crystal clear after that. Without the finings, it slowly gets less hazy over the course of the first gallon or so.

Some yeasts are particularly hard to remove (to me, Wyeast #2565 Kolsch is like that).

You can use a teaspoon of unflavored gelatin (dilute in 1 cup of water, heat slowly to near boil but do not boil) and add it either to the secondary at transfer time, or to the bottom of the keg when filling it.

M_C

What yeast did you use? Assuming it's a pretty flocculent British strain, I wouldn't worry about it now. But in the future, using fining agents when you cold crash / keg really speeds up the process. I use gelatin and 2 or 3 days after kegging the first pint comes out like a thin yeast slurry, then it's crystal clear after that. Without the finings, it slowly gets less hazy over the course of the first gallon or so.

+1 to theses practices, my beer after the first pint or two appear to be as clear as any mass produced domestic lager.

I did use wyeast british ale yeast but finnings are a must a lesson learned thanks for all the helpful comments I tried biofine clear if it works ill update in a day or so.

Biofine did help it cleared fortunately and unfortunately it was such an amazing batch of beer that it barely lasted 3 weeks clear or not more beer has excellent kits thanks for all the comments and ideas finings will be used before cold crashing with my current batch

Back