Kewler Kitz Thermothingy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg75

Reaction score
I ordered one of these from Northern Brewer, with the intention of installing it in my Coleman Xtreme MLT. Well, after getting it on Friday, it looks like the Thermothingy isn't nearly long enough to accomodate the wall thickness of the Xtreme. It looks like there'd be hardly any threads extending from either end to tighten the fittings on securely.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for installing a thermometer on the Xtreme? I guess I'll have to just buy a floating thermometer and throw it in the mash soup, but I was really hoping to install a thermometer where I wouldn't have to open the lid during the mash. Then again, I hear this particular cooler is awesome at retaining temperature, so it sounds to me once desired mash temperature is achieved, I could just close the lid and rest assured that I won't lose more than one or two degrees Fahrenheit in sixty minutes.

So, unless others have successfully installed a Thermothingy on an Xtreme, I'll try to return it to Northern Brewer for a credit (I guess I'll get a thermometer fitting for my keggle). If I can't return it, I'll just give it to someone here...PM me if you're interested.

Remove the outer wall and insulation and attach it using just the inner wall.

These are awesome at temp retention. A guy picked up a picnic table (I make and sell 'em) and had an extreme in the back of his truck. He and wifey are building a camp and use the cooler as a fridge (really?) It still had ice in it from the last weekend! Been sitting in the back of his truck all week. It hasn't been "hot" down here, but it was 81° on Friday.

The way those things are put together, I think you could just purchase a longer pipe nipple (the part that goes thru the cooler) at just about any home depot type store. Most of those stores have a whole section of brass fittings. It would probably be a couple of bucks. I'm also pretty sure I've seen a non-Zymico, but similar, product made for the Xtreme- don't have the link though. I use one on my rubbermaid and like it, but others prefer not to have a thermometer thru the mash tun wall, it does inhibit stirring a bit and only measures one point in the mash. I don't stir during the mash except at dough in- so I prefer just to leave my tun closed and use the external thermometer.

Back