NC Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard

Reaction score
I'll be heading to the Outer Banks for a week of vacation in a month or so. Can anyone make any recommendations? I imagine the selection will be somewhat different from what I normally see here in NJ.

There is an excellent brewery in Kill Devil Hills called The Outer Banks Brewing Station. They have some nice beers and an outstanding food menu. There is a place on Ocracoke Island called Howard's Pub that has over 200 beers on their menu. I wrote about it briefly HERE. I also left a link to the OBX Brewing Station in that post.

Cool, thanks.

I was also curious about the bottled beer I would see at the liquor store. Lots of beers from southern breweries that aren't available in NJ? Any recommendations on those? I haven't been south of Philadelphia...

The Triangle area has quite a few micro-breweries now but I think most of them only distribute locally. Some well distributed NC brewery names to look for are Big Boss, Cottonwood, Highland, French Broad, and Duck Rabbit (especially if you like dark beers). Anything you find from those breweries will be work trying.

We've recently started getting Sweetwater brews from north Georgia, they make lots of great stuff.

BTW- any grocery or convenience store will have a beer selection, you don't have to go to the liquor store. Look for the Brew Thru shops that provide drive-through service and a decent selection.

Enjoy!

In bottles? Look for anything from Highland (Asheville, NC) and Duck-Rabbit (Farmville, NC)

edit: Oh, one other thing...the best grocery stores for getting local micros are (in decending order): Whole Foods, Harris-Teeter & Lowe's. Avoid Food Lion.

Another great is LoneRider out of Raleigh. Got a fantastic Hefeweizen (Shotgun Betty) out there now. Just ran across this on LoneRider's website....if you are interested in playing online trivia on beer and all things western (all LoneRider beers have a western 'outlaw' theme), then check this out: Shotgun Betty Blast! every day the top spot wins a $20 Gift Certificate to the brewery. fun and new to me!

Back