College Recruitment and Microbrewery Event

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric_Duel

Reaction score
So I get to do some of the recruiting work for my company this season. One of the schools we visit is Rutgers, which just happens to be in New Brunswick, NJ. We also happen to be planning a social event for the recruits to come, have some food and drink, and meet the people from the company.

We happen to have chosen Harvest Moon (New Brunswick Brewpub) as our location for the meet and greet. :tank:

So am I supposed to limit my intake just because I'm talking to recruits?

Even more importantly, am I going to end up talking more about beer than the positions we're looking for?

We "work hard... party hard..."

We wouldn't want them to apply for the job for the wrong reasons now would we?

:cross:

I've gotten at least one job talking about bars & beer. First job out of grad school, the interviewer (and manager) had gone to Cornell & we spent most of the interview talking about The Big Red Barn.

I've also turned down a job offer, because at the recruiting event the company handed out two tokens for drinks. I was told this was normal for company events and you couldn't buy additional drinks at them. I don't want to work for a company run by a liability lawyer!

Well, I hate to be a wet blanket and all, but I'd HIGHLY suggest severely limiting your intake during the recruiting portion at a minimum - ESPECIALLY since this is your first time.

I've seen SEVERAL people overdue it in situations where they shouldn't have and it's next to impossible to live down. It's not like it's a Christmas party where being a little tipsy is forgivable - it's a work event where you're representing your company.

rdwj said:
Well, I hate to be a wet blanket and all, but I'd HIGHLY suggest severely limiting your intake during the recruiting portion at a minimum - ESPECIALLY since this is your first time.

I've seen SEVERAL people overdue it in situations where they shouldn't have and it's next to impossible to live down. It's not like it's a Christmas party where being a little tipsy is forgivable - it's a work event where you're representing your company.

I kinda take it as a given that you don't get sloppy when representing the company, unless you're looking to have a whole lot more free time to drink on random Tuesday mornings. I think it would actually be MORE informative to see how the potential new hires act; gotta think that anyone with half a ounce of common sense isn't going to get sloppy when they're trying to score an interview.

Well, he did ask if he should limit his intake...

I don't think I'd even get near the mild buzz point - especially since it's his first time doing this, and more likely than not, his behavior will be noticed.

I think I'd keep it in the 1-1.5 pints per hour range.

Maybe I should have added that the question was rhetorical. I am a professional representing a professional company. There's no way I'm going overboard.

However, I'm still excited to be going to a micro on a recruiting mission. :)
They were looking at stuffy formal places but they didn't work out. This is SO much better.

Back