Thoughts on my water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jy545

Reaction score
I am new to brew water chem. I just got my water report from the water department. How does my local water look for brewing?

pH 8.05 pH
Electrical Conductivity 426 umhos/cm
Bicarbonate Alkalinity 115 mg/L
Carbonate CaCO3 0.100 U * mg/L
Total Alkalinity CaCO3 115 mg/L
Est. Total Dissolved Solids 302 mg/L
Calcium 52.6 mg/L
Iron 0.0126 I mg/L
Magnesium 17.8 mg/L
Potassium 0.500 U * mg/L
Sodium 5.91 mg/L
Total Hardness (as CaCO3) 164 mg/L
Sulfate 119 mg/L
Chloride 10 mg/L
Nitrate 0.050 U *mg/L
Phosphorus Not Tested

* The "U" listed after Carbonate, Potassium, and Nitrate indicates results were below the labs detectable levels.

The alkalinity can be surmounted with a minor acid addition, so its not really a problem. However, the sulfate content is a bit high for many lighter and malty styles. Then the need for dilution will be apparent.

That water could be a good starting point for hoppy styles!

The alkalinity can be surmounted with a minor acid addition, so its not really a problem. However, the sulfate content is a bit high for many lighter and malty styles. Then the need for dilution will be apparent.

That water could be a good starting point for hoppy styles!

Your brew club Foam Blowers gets nice recognition. Not sure if you had any brews that earned a medal in last year's brewers cup. If so, congrats!

I live in Fishers and wondered how similar the water compares to Carmel. I've not been able to find any info on Fishers water. Do you use Carmel's water when you brew? I recently brewed with local water in an IPA and added some phosphoric acid to help dilute the pH. I usually get water in gallon jugs from Kroger, but wanted to try to save a few bucks.

Back