Saving Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, I brew a batch of beer and it turns out well... er, good. There is a bunch of trub on the bottom. How can I save the yeast for the next batch which may not be brewed for another two or three weeks?

Can I just dump a bunch into a sanitized mason jar or ??? and put it into the refrigerator.. or, do I have to do more? I guess I could add some sterile water, swirl it and decant it into the jar and refrigerate?

Just pour into masson jars and put in the fridge is all I do. (Don't put the lids on two tight, just till they stop. You don't want then to explode). It works well for me. I've done some test with yeast washing and cell counts indicate that washing yeast is just throwing away good yeast.

Thanks.. Tried doing a search and decided to post after I didn't find what I was hoping for.. one of the posts below the message pointed me to Bernie's sticky.. That's what I'll be doing.

Back