Filtering Beer that is already carbonated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedDragon

Reaction score
Need advice. I have a cream ale that is a little hazy...I have already kegged and carbed it. I just got my filtering system. Can I still run it through the filter into another kegs with "damage" to the beer?
Thanks for your input.

I've filtered with carbonated beer... its kind of tough because the filter is going to pull the carbonation out (because of nucleation sites, etc), so you're going to have a lot of foam, and may need to "burp" the filter every once in a while.

You really don't want to filter AFTER carbonation has taken effect. Any form of filtering or aeration could flatten the beer and/or lead to infection, and you don't want that in the bottle.

you are good to go: While your hazey keg is hooked up to CO2, turn the CO2 pressure up to 35psi. Prep an empty keg to receive your beer, purge with CO2, and then, seal the lid with 35 PSI. Then hook your "OUT" from your donor keg to the "IN" of the filter, and then the output of the filter to the "OUT" of the empty presurized receiving keg. This requries 2 OUT jacks hooked to the filter unit.

Now, you just need to start releasing pressure from the receiving keg slowly and let the pressure difference do it's work. The donor keg will push carbonated beer through the filter, and if you have enough pressure behind the beer, you won't need to run the filter's pummp at all. It'll take over 2 hours, but it works.

ItalianGuy78 said:
You really don't want to filter AFTER carbonation has taken effect. Any form of filtering or aeration could flatten the beer and/or lead to infection, and you don't want that in the bottle.

It will cause the beer to un-carbonate, but I'm not sure I follow the infection part.

As long as everything is sanitary you should be fine. There is already alcohol present in the beer which will help to keep nasties at bay.

Brad1775 said:
you are good to go: While your hazey keg is hooked up to CO2, turn the CO2 pressure up to 35psi. Prep an empty keg to receive your beer, purge with CO2, and then, seal the lid with 35 PSI. Then hook your "OUT" from your donor keg to the "IN" of the filter, and then the output of the filter to the "OUT" of the empty presurized receiving keg. This requries 2 OUT jacks hooked to the filter unit.

Now, you just need to start releasing pressure from the receiving keg slowly and let the pressure difference do it's work. The donor keg will push carbonated beer through the filter, and if you have enough pressure behind the beer, you won't need to run the filter's pummp at all. It'll take over 2 hours, but it works.

I like the sound of this. It will be going so slow and under pressure. There wouldn't be a concern of pressure building up too much in a plastic plate filter that would cause leaks or anything, right?

It will cause the beer to un-carbonate,

Not really, if you use the counter pressure method described by Brad1775.
I do it all the time with my modified plate filters at 15 psi.
cadillarcandy said:
There wouldn't be a concern of pressure building up too much in a plastic plate filter that would cause leaks or anything, right?
The plastic plate filters from the home brew shops will leak above 7 psi.

Brad1775 said:
turn the CO2 pressure up to 35psi.
It'll take over 2 hours, but it works.
Why does your filtering process take 2 hours at 35 psi and what type filter do you use?
I do 10 gallons in 40 min @ 15psi.

Modified plate filters

Beer_Filter_Rear.jpg

Beer_Filter_Top.jpg

BeerFilter_Guide_Rods1.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I haven't worked with filters, but I use gelatin to clear my beers with amazing results. I do it the way BierMuncher does it here,With your beer already keg'd and carb'd just remove your gas QCD, release the pressure on the keg, add the gelatin and you're set. I normally see a difference after about 24 hours and it looks crystal clear after three days. I've heard that you can get 'beer jello' at the bottom of your keg, but I've always been drinking on the beer as the gelatin is working so it doesn't set in the bottom of the keg like it may if you add the gelatin and not pull some of the sediment from the bottom daily.

Haha, I just realized that we're all responding to a two-year-old post! :eek: RedDragon, if you're still around, I hope that your results were great and that you ended up with awesome beer!

I haven't worked with filters, but I use gelatin to clear my beers with amazing results. I do it the way BierMuncher does it here,With your beer already keg'd and carb'd just remove your gas QCD, release the pressure on the keg, add the gelatin and you're set. I normally see a difference after about 24 hours and it looks crystal clear after three days. I've heard that you can get 'beer jello' at the bottom of your keg, but I've always been drinking on the beer as the gelatin is working so it doesn't set in the bottom of the keg like it may if you add the gelatin and not pull some of the sediment from the bottom daily.

This may be an old post but I am finding it very interesting and helpful. I hope this did help the origional poster:) I am curious as to the Gelatin idea above. while I do have a plate filter I chose not to filter out my Chocolate Cherry Milk Stout. I put it in a secondary and then third letting the residual chocolate fall out but now that it's kegged and carbonated it looks like a Chocolate Milk Shake. I am serving this at a party next weekend and need to clean this up. How much Gelatin do you add for a 5 gallon batch?

Back