Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loudawg7777

Reaction score
Started an Irish stout about a week ago and got a hydrometer reading of 1.013 today. I forgot to get an initial reading when I pitched the yeast. How much longer should I let it ferment before bottling?

Check the gravity for 2 or 3 consecutive days. If it doesn't change, then it's done fermenting.

I usually let my beers sit for a total of three weeks or so before bottling. This allows the yeast and proteins to settle to the bottom and compact a bit. You'll end up with less sediment in your bottles that way.

Cheers!

So I took hydrometer readings for 3 says straight with no change. I racked the beer into a keg (sanitized) and put it in my fridge. I wanted to sample it about 5 hours later and it tasted like metal. The pressure was at 20psi so I turned it down and purged the excess co2 out. Should I just leave it alone now or am I screwed? The guy at the brew shop said by my hydro readings I was good to rack it, and to leave it in the keg a week before drinking it. Any insight here?

So I took hydrometer readings for 3 says straight with no change. I racked the beer into a keg (sanitized) and put it in my fridge. I wanted to sample it about 5 hours later and it tasted like metal. The pressure was at 20psi so I turned it down and purged the excess co2 out. Should I just leave it alone now or am I screwed? The guy at the brew shop said by my hydro readings I was good to rack it, and to leave it in the keg a week before drinking it. Any insight here?

Sanitized how exactly?

Sampled after 5 hours? Did you sample it before you kegged it? Man, 5 hours in a keg and you won't even know what the beer will taste like a few weeks from now. Do not worry. Brew another batch, it'll give you something else to worry about until you build up more confidence in brewing...

It's natural to worry a lot at first. Welcome to brewing. It will get easier and less stressful the more you learn, brew and experience brewing. The yeast guys are pretty good fellows. Treat them right (proper pitch and fermentation temp) and you already know sanitization is a key factor.

Every thing will be alright.

I sanitized the keg with alkaline first, filled it up with solution let it sit 15 mInutes. Rinsed it, then filled it up with iodophor, let it sit 2 hours, rinsed it. I didn't take anything apart though...

I racked the beer. Ack to a sanitized bucket, and cleaned the keg thoroughly making sure to purge the lines of cleaner with co2 and rinsed and repeated. Now the beer tastes awesome and is very strong in flavor and alcohol! I'm very happy with the outcome of this first batch adventure. I messed up every way I could and still ended up with a great tasting stout. Here's to all you brewers out there, never give up, you can fix your screw ups, and always learn from your mistakes. Happy brewing all!!!!

Back