Drinking day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

londonboy

Reaction score
So drinking day has arrived. Bottles have been sittin for about 2 weeks. The question i have is, if the beer is good and you want to share with friends, whats the polite minimum to give? Just one? 2?

I'd say a couple at most. But 2 weeks isn't usually enough conditioning time for average gravity beers. Save for a wheat beer. And a week fridge time for decent head & carbonation. It isn't a quick process.

Skal! It helps to keep 'em in the fridge for a bit to let the CO2 mix into solution, so crack open a few tonight and keep a six pack or two in the fridge for about 1-2 weeks and give those a try. I usually stick to 2 bottles, but that's why I started kegging, if they want 'em they have to come and get 'em! :D

I always give 2 bottles to friends, so they can in turn share if desired. I used to give 1 bottle, and to more people, but I decided to be more selective and more generous with the lucky few.

I usually give 2 bottles to people I KNOW will enjoy homebrew, 1 to a new to homebrew taster, and a 6pack to someone that helps out on brew day. I've been bottling off the keg, for tasters.

One thing I realized is that most people don't know what good beer is. They think that a Bud or a Miller Light is good drinking. They are used to that sweet, tart, bland tasting commercial stuff so when you actually give them a good beer with flavor and nicely balanced hops they will think it's crap. Just speaking from experience here. I made a couple of kick ass batches, and I know they were awesome beers, but none of my friends really raved about it or had seconds. Just preparing you for the inevitable.

If your friends are beer connaiseurs then you're in luck, if they're not, prepare to have a disappointed reaction.

How many depends on the recipient. I usually share one each of a couple of brews with better friends. Or friends who I think would appreciate a good beer.

I don't even offer to casual acquaintances. MORE FOR ME!

I've only got a couple friends I share with, although if someone's hosting a fun event at their house, i'll bring some homebrew over. To be honest, although people know I brew, I keep it on the DL when and what specifically i'm brewing. I spend hours upon hours brewing (and formulating, cleaning, sanitizing, researching, etc etc) so i'm not going to give away half of my beer.

I usually give 2 bottles to people I KNOW will enjoy homebrew, 1 to a new to homebrew taster, and a 6pack to someone that helps out on brew day. I've been bottling off the keg, for tasters.

This is what I do. I have no brew help but the wife sometimes, and my beagle.. He gets a cold 12oz for his help when it's ready as well.

I give 1 bottle to people who hear/know that I'm a homebrewer, and might be interested in trying it. I give a couple of bombers, or so to a fellow craft beer drinker who I work with, and who can give me some feedback on flavors and stuff.

The rest.. I keep and drink.

I usually bring 12 into work and shoot out an email telling people to help themselves. Helps free up the bottles and gives me an excuse to brew more!

FATC1TY said:
This is what I do. I have no brew help but the wife sometimes, and my beagle.. He gets a cold 12oz for his help when it's ready as well.

I give 1 bottle to people who hear/know that I'm a homebrewer, and might be interested in trying it. I give a couple of bombers, or so to a fellow craft beer drinker who I work with, and who can give me some feedback on flavors and stuff.

The rest.. I keep and drink.

Just so you know, hoppy beers and hops themselves are toxic to dogs, sneezing is the first sign.

Just so you know, hoppy beers and hops themselves are toxic to dogs, sneezing is the first sign.

Yeah, I know the hops are.. Not sure I believe hoppy beers are. My dog has drank alot of beer in his life, no issues after 9 years so far.

He doesn't get much, because of the higher alcohol content. He drank a whole porter one night that was 9% that I had just poured and he slurped down off the coffee table.

Was drunk off his ass the whole night, pretty sad, so I watch him now. He'll steal your beer.

LOL my Dachshunds loved my beer... I miss those girls... my ex accused me of turning them into alcoholics... they preferred malty beers.
they came running for a porter or a scottish ale.

Back