Polder Probe Thermometer problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djmd

Reaction score
Hey all, first post... been brewing with extract for a couple years.

I have two of those wire/probe thermometers, one is a polder, and the other one is from target. They have both gone bad... and I suspect the probe is the problem. They read about 50 degrees too high :confused:

I'm starting to think that the probes themselves should not be submersed in wort, at least past the point where the probe meets the wire. I say this becuase one of them went bad before the other did, and I determined it was a bad probe, not the thermometer. I didn't make a practice of submersing it (especially on the cold side), but I know it went under a few times. I tried emailing polder about it but the email bounced back.

So now I'm back to the old school thermometer... which isn't so bad, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Thanks in advance!

djmd said:
Hey all, first post... been brewing with extract for a couple years.

I have two of those wire/probe thermometers, one is a polder, and the other one is from target. They have both gone bad... and I suspect the probe is the problem. They read about 50 degrees too high :confused:

I'm starting to think that the probes themselves should not be submersed in wort, at least past the point where the probe meets the wire.
You're correct, they shouldn't be submersed beyond the point where the braid goes into the probe.

The good news is you can bake them for 30 minutes at 350F and they'll work again. :cool:

Well I'll be darned.

I did this a week ago, but only did 200 degrees for about 10 minutes. Didn't do a thing.

Tonight I did it again, 350 for 25 mins, and they are workin' again! Also boiled them first in a mild Straight-A solution in case there were solme lodged solids in there....

Thanks for the post... you saved me another 20 bucks.

Back