Replacing Hop Aroma Tablets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msarro

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I recently bought a recipe for a pliny clone at my local HBS. The recipe includes a number of hop aroma tabs. I've never used these before, and before I put them in my beer I was looking into what all they're composed of. Turns out that its hop oils, effervescent chemicals, and some other stuff. Now, this may sound grouchy, but I tend to like to keep my beers as close to natural as possible (outside of using some campden when dealing with fruit). So, does anyone have any ideas how many AAU's or the weight in hops that a hop aroma tab would translate to? There are 2 tabs added at 30 minutes, and 3 added at flame out.

I can't even tell what hop they're from, so I am going to assume cascade (that seems to be the most omnipresent hop tab online).

I've never used them, but it sounds like they may just be pelletized, concentrated hop oils?? Here is the description from the Williams Brewing site:

Have you wanted to increase the hop character of your beer without making it too bitter? Made of hop oils isolated from C02 hop extract, Hop Aroma Tabs are virtually free of alpha acids. These dense tablets deliver flavorful oil deep into the wort, adding more aromatic oil than is normally possible with traditional whole or pellet hops.

Made from varying aromatic hops, use 1 to 2 quarter-sized tablets per 5 gallons of wort, adding at the end of the boil or in the fermenter. Tablets are brittle and often arrive broken - this one ounce pack contains about 6 tablets.

So they're aroma "tabs" that aren't actual hops? I'd be takin' that kit back. That's just me though...

Unacceptable IMO.

So they're aroma "tabs" that aren't actual hops? I'd be takin' that kit back. That's just me though...

Unacceptable IMO.

It comes with about 5oz of hops, along with a packet of aroma tabs. Usually the shop is pretty spot on, I'd just prefer not to use a tab when I can use real hops and dry hopping to get similar effects, you know?

msarro said:
It comes with about 5oz of hops, along with a packet of aroma tabs. Usually the shop is pretty spot on, I'd just prefer not to use a tab when I can use real hops and dry hopping to get similar effects, you know?

Oh totally! I would much rather be using hops. I bet you could compare the hops they gave you with other "Pliny Packs" and see what those aroma hops are supposed to be. Maybe your LHBS is out of the necessary hop types & is using a substitute.

I assume you are talking about Keystone's kit- if some other kit, this really still applies though.

I have brewed that one, and it comes out really good. Maybe not spot on, but really good. The aroma tabs work surprisingly well. Keep in mind it is called "Pliny the Affordable" for a reason- they substitute the hop tabs and make some other shortcuts to keep the price of pre wing a batch of Pliny under $55.

So understanding that about the kit, if you want to substitute real hops in there, there are plenty of clone recipes available and even the one from Vinnie. You just will spend about another $20 to $30 on hops. Keystone is very good about returns, so I am sure they would take the tabs back if you wanted to go with the real hops.

I assume you are talking about Keystone's kit- if some other kit, this really still applies though.

I have brewed that one, and it comes out really good. Maybe not spot on, but really good. The aroma tabs work surprisingly well. Keep in mind it is called "Pliny the Affordable" for a reason- they substitute the hop tabs and make some other shortcuts to keep the price of pre wing a batch of Pliny under $55.

So understanding that about the kit, if you want to substitute real hops in there, there are plenty of clone recipes available and even the one from Vinnie. You just will spend about another $20 to $30 on hops. Keystone is very good about returns, so I am sure they would take the tabs back if you wanted to go with the real hops.

It IS from keystone! I live a few blocks from one of their locations. I actually don't really intend to return it - I kind of figured some corners get cut to bring the price that low on the kit, and I don't really have a problem with that (I'm already modifying it to use about 2-3 more lbs of malt to balance out the flavor a little towards my palette). In general I tend to not follow kits exactly, just use them as a baseline - plus they tend to save a few $.

I'm more curious about how the tabs line up with hops, and how I can go about subbing in normal hops for the tablets. There's got to be some sort of conversion to what a single hop tablet equates to in hops, you know?

I know I've found an old copy of Vinnie's Elder recipe some time ago, that's probably a good place to start.

My very limited experience (from that one batch) is that they have add a general hop aroma/flavor without any of the strong specific character you might get from using a single hop. Kind of like using several different strains of hops. But they are good for what they are. I think that one tab is supposed to be about similar to using an ounce of hops, but that is just what I have heard.

Here's some detailed info.

Hop Aroma Tabs are made from the hop oils isolated from CO2 Hop Extract that are compounded with effervescing agents. The mild isolation procedure preserves the essential hop oil compounds that contribute to a complex, hoppy character. Unlike many conventional hop oil products employed to enhance hop character, the tablet formulation is stable, relatively inexpensive, and easy to handle and dose. The density of the tablets allow the oil product to be delivered deep into the kettle/fermenter/bright beer tank where micro-bubble dispersion of the hop oils promote the maximum absorption of flavor and aroma components into the brew. The interface between the tablet hop oils and wort/beer is several orders of magnitude higher than that of conventional hop oil products.

Hop Aroma Tabs are virtually free of alpha acids. They will not provide bitterness or contribute to a sun-struck flavor. Fresh hop aroma and flavor characteristics will not change after extended periods of storage. The ease of use and flexibility in dosing methods allow for a multitude of applications.

Description: A yellow/green tablet made from hop oils and uncharacterized resins produced by CO2 extraction mixed with food grade bicarbonate salts, effervescent and binders.

Aroma%20Tabs.jpg

Weight: Each tablet weighs about 5 grams
&#945;-acids: < 0.35 %
&#946;-acids: < 1.5 %
Hop oils: > 27%

Product Use:
Hop Aroma Tabs in the brew kettle are primarily used as a kettle hop ingredient to economically replace or reinforce the aroma fraction of the traditional kettle hop bill. The product is designed to provide hop character to beer. The efficient delivery of hop oils provides a consistent, natural hop character to the beer with little waste of expensive hop oil components.

Add Hop Aroma Tabs early in kettle boil to control excessive foaming and contribute to the kettle break. Alternatively, they can be added in the whirlpool to provide a more pronounced hop character to the beer. Depending on temperature, the complete dissolution of the tablets will take place over a period of five to seven minutes at typical kettle/whirlpool temperatures.

Hop Aroma Tabs are packaged in vacuum-sealed foils for easy handling and may be weighed or dispensed by volume into the kettle/whirlpool.

Hop Aroma Tabs for dry hopping are primarily used as a replacement for dry hopping products. The slow release of small oil-encased bubbles from the bottom of the fermenter or bright beer tank promotes excellent transfer of hop oil components to the cold wort/beer. In this application, Hop Aroma Tabs are a unique product for compliance with the strictest food safety regulations.

Add Hop Aroma Tabs directly into the fermenter or maturation tank. Hop Aroma Tabs are packaged in vacuum-sealed foils for easy handling and may be weighed or dispensed by volume into the tank.
Alternatively, Hop Aroma Tabs can be added directly to kegs or firkins. The tablets will begin disintegrating almost immediately. Depending on temperature, the complete dissolution of the tablets will take place over a period of five to seven days at normal cellar temperatures.

Use Rate Calculations:
Use about 20% of the typical weight of loose hops or hop pellets commonly dispensed to your tank for dry hopping. Alternatively, the addition of one to three tablets of Hop Aroma Tabs to the equivalent of 10 gallons of finished beer will provide a good base for evaluation of hop character.

Perception of hop character and various related notes in beer will depend on the quantity of tablets added, temperature at time of addition and the residence time in the vessel. Whether looking for a soft noble nose or an aggressive &#8220;hop monster&#8221;, the control is yours by simply dosing according to the style of brew or personal taste.

Analysis:
&#945;-acids and &#946;-acids are measured by HPLC with the International Calibration Extract as reference.
Hop oils are measured using distillation following ASBC guidelines.

Packaging:
Standard packaging is available in 500 gram foil pouches.

Storage and Best-by Recommendation:
Hop Aroma Tabs may be stored at room temperature or refrigerated. Foil pouches should not be opened until ready for use. Re-close partially filled pouches by rolling down the foil top and sealing with tape or clamp device. Partially filled pouches should be kept in dry, refrigerated storage.

Safety:
Hop Aroma Tabs are a natural, non-toxic substance and may be safely handled using routine
precautions such as avoiding contact with skin and particularly, eyes. For more information please refer to the relevant Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS).

Technical Support:
We will be pleased to offer support on the use of Hop Aroma Tabs in brewing. For assistance, please contact our knowledgeable staff at 1-800-952-4873 or e-mail [email protected]

Download MSDS PDF

My only problem with the tabs are what hops are you putting in? I'm guessing it's some American C blend but who knows? You'd have to use it a few times to figure out how if it provides what you are going for. I'd feel a lot better if they said something like, "Hop tabs are comprised of mostly Cascade hops with a bit of Centennial and Chinook added..."

My only problem with the tabs are what hops are you putting in? I'm guessing it's some American C blend but who knows? You'd have to use it a few times to figure out how if it provides what you are going for. I'd feel a lot better if they said something like, "Hop tabs are comprised of mostly Cascade hops with a bit of Centennial and Chinook added..."

I was wondering if they actually sell different types.

Latest posts

Back