Consequences of a Thinner Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltoftheearth

Reaction score
Typically I do a 1.25 ratio when I mash but today I had issues with the temperature of my strike water and had to add about a gallon more than usual. The result is a 1.60 ration.

What are the consequences of this? I am looking in Palmer and cannot find an answer!

Lower FG and less water to sparge with so probably lower efficiency.

I was doing some mashes that were too thin while trying to dial in my process (and spread sheet) and my efficiency suffered and the beer was often a little too dry.

If I was in that situation (again)! I'd just drain some off and save it to sparge with later.

Not trying to start a gentlemanly debate, but I listened to an interesting conversation between Tasty and Jamil on a recent episode of CYBI. They both agreed that there was no noticable difference in beers brewed with completely different mash volumes. I found this interesting because of the long-standing discussion that has gone on on HBT. Worth a listen.

A point of interest. Nothing more.

I typically mash at about 1.75 qts/lb up to 2 qts/lb sometimes. Never had a problem. My efficiency is always in the low-mid 80's. I started doing it by accident but it has worked so well I have never changed it. I have not ever gotten a really FG and I am usually slightly over my calculated OG. I have no plans to thicken my mash in the near future. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Not trying to start a gentlemanly debate, but I listened to an interesting conversation between Tasty and Jamil on a recent episode of CYBI. They both agreed that there was no noticable difference in beers brewed with completely different mash volumes. I found this interesting because of the long-standing discussion that has gone on on HBT. Worth a listen.

A point of interest. Nothing more.

This makes sense to me b/c if this was NOT the case then the BIAB folks wouldn't be able to do what they do, right?

Figured I would ask b/c I find that if I proceed confidently as if I know the answer to something new then invariably I am proved wrong.

Back