Yeast Starter Cloudy After 1 week cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I am getting paranoid about my yeast starters after dumping 10 gallons of brown ale a week or two ago due to infection. I made a pacman yeast starter in preparation for a IIPA that I brewed yesterday. (its chugging along in full blown fermentation right now). Pacman I have found to be usually quite flocculant, but for some reason my yeast starter didn't fully clear in the fridge after crashing for a week due to a delayed brew day.

I tasted the starter, tasted pretty much like nothing except a few off flavors from a higher than normal fermentation temp due to being on my counter in the sun.

I am hoping it was just chill haze, but who knows.

I am getting paranoid about my yeast starters after dumping 10 gallons of brown ale a week or two ago due to infection. I made a pacman yeast starter in preparation for a IIPA that I brewed yesterday. (its chugging along in full blown fermentation right now). Pacman I have found to be usually quite flocculant, but for some reason my yeast starter didn't fully clear in the fridge after crashing for a week due to a delayed brew day.

I tasted the starter, tasted pretty much like nothing except a few off flavors from a higher than normal fermentation temp due to being on my counter in the sun.

I am hoping it was just chill haze, but who knows.

Why are you cold crashing your yeast starter, and especially for a week? The idea of a yeast starter is to inoculate your wort with a large, healthy, and ACTIVE yeast population in order to produce a clean fermentation with low lag times.

Also your yeast starter is not going to taste very good. My advice would be focus on your sanitation before you make the starter, and then leave it alone until the brew day.

Why are you cold crashing your yeast starter, and especially for a week? The idea of a yeast starter is to inoculate your wort with a large, healthy, and ACTIVE yeast population in order to produce a clean fermentation with low lag times.

Also your yeast starter is not going to taste very good. My advice would be focus on your sanitation before you make the starter, and then leave it alone until the brew day.

Lots of folks cold crash their yeast. This way you don't leave any in suspension. You then discard the wort and pitch the yeast. Why would you want to add oxidized crappy flavored non hopped wort to you beer?

I left if for a week because my brew day got delayed as I mentioned in the OP.

I always pitch my yeast cold, directly from the fridge and I have a much improved lag time using this method.

Back