SS Hop Back solutions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hatrickwah

Sponsor
Reaction score
So I've been digging around HBT and via Google, trying to find a stainless steel hop back solution that is all stainless like the new Blichmann HopRocket. I'm ready to drop the $$ on the blichmann (SWMBO approved), but at the same time I could use some more kegs. Does anyone have a good solution for a hop back that uses all stainless, without any plastic, meaning no kitchen canisters, no water filters. I found one that looked tempting, but the source for the container was no more, and the picture of the unit wasn't large enough to get a good look at it.

You could always try using this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001N3YKJ0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

with the corresponding bain marie (1.5 qt version of both). It would be pretty easy to solder on stainless couplings and add a modified stainless strainer for less than $100. If you think you'll be soldering more couplings of that size, then make one of GreenMonti keg tools, done with all stainless fittings from McMaster by Nostalgia:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/soldering-stainless-steel-155782/index26.html#post2264954

~$14 Bain Marie
~$10 2 couplers (maybe 1/2")
~$25 keg tool
~$14 6" stainless mesh strainer:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VWA0JI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

= $63

Something to think about...

Last edited by a moderator:
That was the idea I found, but initially couldn't find the pots from the guy's links. This helps thanks. I question the idea on the strainer part though, I wonder if something like this might be a better idea? Amazon

Well....do you NEED a hopback? What kinda chiller do you use?

They're nice to have, but a lot of people find they don't use them nearly as much. I built one into my system, but it is also a pre-filter for my plate chiller.

I'm finding that it's easy to get off track with purchases, because there's so much cool stuff. Right now I'm torn between buying welding stuff and finishing my brew system. Only one is really going to help my homebrewing process.

I finally dropped the $$ for the hop rocket and it works really nice.
Do you need it ? probably not , but as a filter to get rid of extra hops and add more hop aroma, thats what I use it for. And it looks better than my homemade jobby.

Scuba, you make a valid argument, and that exact question is why I'm at this point. I was all set to order the blingmann at the end of the month, but then my oldest kegerator started going on the fritz. I have the refrigeration repair guy coming tomorrow to get my big commercial refrigerators online, so the old kegerator will be replaced. But now I'm thinking that 7 kegs aren't enough. Watching keg prices, even just in the last 3 months, they are climbing. I'm leaning towards picking up a pair of kegs and some little odds and ends rather than getting the hop back now. As I type this I'm convincing myself more and more that kegs are more important. Now to find a good deal on some that won't cost me an arm, leg, and my first born in freight.

BTW, I'm using a counterflow chiller right now, but should be moving to Houston soon, so I've been shopping around for plate chillers. I'll probably find myself in Keg Cowboy's front door if I do move, picking one up.

That was the idea I found, but initially couldn't find the pots from the guy's links. This helps thanks. I question the idea on the strainer part though, I wonder if something like this might be a better idea? Amazon

you really want to use stainless. cold rolled is still steel, and it will rust.

You could always try using this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001N3YKJ0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

with the corresponding bain marie (1.5 qt version of both). It would be pretty easy to solder on stainless couplings and add a modified stainless strainer for less than $100. If you think you'll be soldering more couplings of that size, then make one of GreenMonti keg tools, done with all stainless fittings from McMaster by Nostalgia:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/soldering-stainless-steel-155782/index26.html#post2264954

~$14 Bain Marie
~$10 2 couplers (maybe 1/2")
~$25 keg tool
~$14 6" stainless mesh strainer:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VWA0JI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

= $63

Something to think about...

This is basically what I did. I picked up the 2 inserts and a notched lid for ~$15 at a restaurant supply Costso. I had a full coupler welded on the bottom (there is room for a bulkhead fitting though) and then drilled a ton of holes in the insert (used a drill press and went through a few bits). I gravity feed into it from the kettle and then pump out of it through the CFC. The holes are the same size as my false bottom but I still use a bag for clean up sake and I can sink the hops better. I only really break it out on IPAs but another benefit is the pump primes way easier.

5454162940_03fa96a1d8.jpg

5454165046_4d4e54057a.jpg

Scuba, you make a valid argument, and that exact question is why I'm at this point. I was all set to order the blingmann at the end of the month, but then my oldest kegerator started going on the fritz. I have the refrigeration repair guy coming tomorrow to get my big commercial refrigerators online, so the old kegerator will be replaced. But now I'm thinking that 7 kegs aren't enough. Watching keg prices, even just in the last 3 months, they are climbing. I'm leaning towards picking up a pair of kegs and some little odds and ends rather than getting the hop back now. As I type this I'm convincing myself more and more that kegs are more important. Now to find a good deal on some that won't cost me an arm, leg, and my first born in freight.

BTW, I'm using a counterflow chiller right now, but should be moving to Houston soon, so I've been shopping around for plate chillers. I'll probably find myself in Keg Cowboy's front door if I do move, picking one up.

Sound like you made your decision :) Man..maybe I need more kegs!

When kegerators die, your priorities change I guess. On the plus side, I think SWMBO is on board for doing the new setup right on the first try. We're shopping for 6 product manifolds and kegs. Once we figure out what we are doing tonight, I'll post a new thread. But at this point I think I would have to say, the hop back has been moved to the back burner, maybe something for this summer.

Back