Must brew be *kept* cold after cold crash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sensibull

Reaction score
Subject basically says it all. Trying to figure out how to best manage my "brewing flow" and very limited kegerator space, so I never run out. I'm doing primary in a 6.5g carboy, and using a corny with the dip tube cut for a brite tank/secondary(*). If I temporarily drop temps in my fermentation freezer to cold crash and rack to serving keg (when not also fermenting a batch in primary), but have no room in the kegerator to store after that, is it ok to bring the serving keg back to room temperature or will that adversely affect the beer?

(* I realize current wisdom says secondary is unnecessary, but I only have the one primary, and have been dryhopping, so using a secondary still makes sense in my situation.)

Plenty of people (including myself) cold crash, then bottle and let things warm back up to room temp to carbonate, so I don't think it should be a problem at all.

Do you shake to resuspend the yeast or just bottle as normal?

Bottle as normal. Even after cold crashing, there is still enough yeast in suspension to bottle carb. Granted, I cold crash for a few days, I'm sure if you left it for an extended period you'd have issues.

Bottle as normal. Even after cold crashing, there is still enough yeast in suspension to bottle carb. Granted, I cold crash for a few days, I'm sure if you left it for an extended period you'd have issues.

hmm ok well I have a beer cold crashed for weeks. plural. am I kegging this one now?

Either that or adding a bit of dry yeast (1g per gallon) to your bottling bucket before you bottle to be safe.

If you do go that route, make sure you add the yeast after you've racked some beer over your hot priming solution.

Although now that I think about it, I've heard of people lagering for extended periods of time and then bottling, but I have no experience with this myself.

Had me nervous there for a minute. I really wanted my Christmas porter to be in bottles. Great advice Thanks!

You don't need extra yeast. Look at this way. There will be a lot less sediment in your bottles.

Back