Keezer with tower, suggestions for the 'bar top' ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelly.

Reaction score
i recently sold my old school fridge/kegerator because i wanted something alittle more efficient.
since i only really use 2 kegs at a time, i picked up a 5.0 cf holiday freezer from lowes ($170 otd)

I have decided to put a tower on the top and extend the bar top out a few inches.
im at the point where i have most of the main parts ready, but im not sure what i want to do on the top.
i have some edge trim, and i was thinking about staining the edge trim, and filling in the top with bottle caps (especially since i have alot of Cloud 9 Brewing caps) then epoxying over them.
can anyone point me in the direction of the epoxy? any idea how much it would take to cover a ~20in x 28in bar top about the depth of a bottle cap?

any other suggestions on what i can do?
i was thinking some peel and stick tiles, but im not sure how they would hold up.

here is a few pictures of how it stands as of now:
IMG_3173.jpg

IMG_3174.jpg

thanks in advance for your help :)
kelly

That looks like an awesome candidate for a tile top.

The other suggestion I often make: go to ReStore (run by Habitat for Humanity) and see if they have anything cool. These guys go through old homes and gut them for home materials. You could find antique cabinet doors, stained glass, cool scraps of counter.... lots of gems in the Restore.

Go with ceramic/porcelain tile, it's completely beer/waterproof. Go to Home Depot and by FlexBond Thinset to stick it directly to the plywood. If you have pieces that need cut (and you don't have a tile saw) then bring the pieces that need cut (marked of course) to that same Home Depot and have them cut them for you. I would use a wooden bar rail for the edges of the top. Put that on and stain/poly it before you set your tile.

You are looking for the pourable epoxy resin finish..you can buy it at any DIY store..in the stain, varnish and finish section...you can lay "stuff" on the surface then pour it on and it'll set up as thick as you so choose.

Dan

I like all of the above suggestions... but as another, there's always laminate.

This is the unfinished top for my work in progress keezer.

IMG_2216.jpg

That gives me an idea for mine... If I remember right, there's a big leftover piece of countertop from when they redid the kitchen in the house I'm buying. I could make my keezer match my kitchen counters! :D

i thnk we are going to fill the bar top with bottle caps and use some of the pourable epoxy that flyweed is talking about.

here is a few pictures of how it sits now.
a few stickers on it, and the drip tray came in.
IMG_3195.jpg

IMG_3196.jpg

hopefully the trim is tall enough to let the epoxy cover the bottle caps.

thanks for all the suggestions,
i would do tile, but im horrible at laying real time, and the laminate/peel and stick tiles will still need eposied over, so we are just gonna cover it in bottle cars :)

I recently did a 2' x 8' bar top with bottle caps and epoxy resin. I suggest using black tile grout between the bottle caps before pouring the resin.

^^^
i should have grouted the caps down like you mentioned.
it took ~64oz of clear epoxy.....
i should have built the side up alittle, then sanded the edges down.

if for some reason i have to pull this top off, i will redo it that way.

here is how it sits now:
IMG_3200.jpg

just waiting for the top to dry and the tower goes one / kegs go in.

there are a few small portions of the caps that arent going to be completely the epoxy but thats ok.

ill post pictures once i get it all finished :)

the expoxy is taking FOREVER to dry.
it probably doesnt help that it is ~2/3in think and it cant cure in the cold house (we have 16 in of snow in CO)

hopefully it will be cured by this weekend.

Say-I just bought a Holiday 5.0 from Lowe's. How's it working out for you? Any issues? Does the tower require a cooling fan? Do you need to circulate the air within the freezer?

How has the epoxy resin stood up?

Back