Pressed the apples - quite dark with sediment? (with. pictures)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craynerd

Reaction score
Hi guys

I`ve been lurking on here since mid June reading up on cider making as I have a small crop of apples and so does my grandad. This isn`t much at all but since I`ve had to hand press them it has been enough! Last year all the apples got rotten and fell on the floor so this year I thought I`d try some cider to use them up. This is the initial crop:

cider1.JPG

I basically chopped them all up and pulped them in the blender:

Popped the pulp into a fine cloth bag and gave it a GOOD squeeze:

cider3.JPG

I then re-filtered this through another fine cloth

cider5.JPG

And after just short of three hours I ended up with just short of 1 gallon of the apple juice, note the apples left are from my grandma as I was to save her some! I have added pectinase (just under 1 teaspoon as it says 1 per gallon and I have added just short of 1 camden tablet, again the instructions say 1 per gallon). I`m now leaving it until tomorrow or maybe even Thurday night as it took longer than I expected. The airlock is there simply to seal the container, I hope it doesn`t start fermenting since there is a camden tablet in there!

cider6.JPG

So that is what I have done so far but I do have a few questions. Firstly it was quite a bit darker than I expected but after leaving it to settle for a while the top area is becoming more of normal apple colour I would expect. There is now a quick thick seddiment falling to the bottom:

cider7.JPG

Do I need to filter this again before I start the fermentation in a few nights time? Would you also add any more than the recommended pectinase to try and clear this up a bit or stick to the 1 teaspoon per gallon rule?

Although this is my first home brew, I`m actually going to go down the route of Brendon O`s Graff :https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graff-malty-slightly-hopped-cider-117117/ as it sounds quite nice. I have everything except the Crystal which I don`t get until tomorrow so like I said it may have to sit until tomorrow or possibly Thursday before I can get started, will it be ok for a few days like this?

I haven`t got an aweful lot of apple juice here, just under a gallon (3.5L) so would you recommend that I top this up with a supermarket bought apple juice? I`m from the UK and I have looked and can`t get any unpasterised stuf, it`ll have to be shelf bought. Any other fellow Brits recommend a good boxed apple juice that I can use to top this up (I believe it must be only UV pasturised right?)

Sorry, lots of questions! Really enjoy the forum...

Craynerd.

I forgot to also mention that the reading on the hydrometer is 1045, presuming I read it correctly!

I'd stay clear of pectinase. unpasteurized juice will clear fine on its own

I believe the graff recipe calls for 1 part wort to 4 part cider, so you could top it off with that.

It wont hurt to wait an extra day to pitch yeast if you already pitched campden. If you think you need to wait longer, put it in the fridge. let it warm up for an hour before pitching

Back