kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robd

Reaction score
i was wondering if i could put my beer into a corny keg without co2 i have a keg but have not got my co2 yet and my beer is ready to bottle or keg so how long can i keep it in the keg without co2

Just keep it in the carboy until you can obtain a co2 tank to purge the keg with. If you leave it in the carboy it has built a blanket of co2 on top of the beer that protects it from oxidation, if you transfer this to keg and do not purge it you may get a bit of oxidation to your beer.

if you rack your beer to a keg without co2 is is just like racking it to a secondary fermenter pressure will eventually build up but the biggest problem i see is you my oxidize the beer since the had not been purge with co2 how long are you going to leave it in the keg you can also prime it in the keg with corn sugar

+1 for waiting until you have your CO2 regulator. An extra week in secondary never hurt anything (Except mabye a wizen, and even then, not really)

my beer is ready to bottle or keg so how long can i keep it in the keg without co2

4-5 years, if it's a barleywine. Prime it and vent a couple times during the first 2-3 days. That will purge almost all of the O2.

Should the kegs stay under pressure? I did this but if I check them the next day it seems there is no pressure on the keg anymore. I will be force carbing, but I'm not ready to use the kegs yet so I have them in a fridge at around 60.

Another option would be to prime the keg with corn sugar, just like bottling. The yeast will consume the sugar, produce CO2 so you can purge the headspace after a couple of days, and naturally carbonate your beer.

That way, when your CO2 arrives, all you'll need to do is chill and dispense. Easy Peasy.

Should the kegs stay under pressure? I did this but if I check them the next day it seems there is no pressure on the keg anymore. I will be force carbing, but I'm not ready to use the kegs yet so I have them in a fridge at around 60.

You could have a leak in one of the valves, or more likely the beer is absorbing the co2 your putting into the keg.

Also, if you have a keg full and not under pressure, if you lay it down, beer will leak out of the top main door, as it needs pressure to seat the oring properly.

Back