My heart stopped..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zombie

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Guinness Extra Stout clone from a AHS mini-mash kit today. I had just brought my water up to 160 and added the grains when the power goes out. I'm on a well so no power means no water..... Fortunately it came back on but I was in panic mode there for a minute.

Here's hoping is stays on...

Generators are a must have if you have well water. Even a small(ish) one can keep your toilet flushing when the powers out, never mind wasted beer.

Yeah, a whole house generator is on the short list.

I cook with propane so my boil wasn't interrupted.

This is turning into the brewday form hell..... 45 minutes into the boil I realized I hadn't added the liquid malt.

Don't sweat it. Many don't add all of the LME/DME until late into the boil so it won't darken as much. Just add it now.

Of course, my answer is 45 minutes after you posted, so add your LME 45 minutes ago and you will be fine.

You might consider adding a surge tank. I installed a 25 gallon tank a couple years ago because of low water pressure on hot days. It has been handy when the water line from the street got busted and last week when the line was re-routed.

Generators are a must have if you have well water. Even a small(ish) one can keep your toilet flushing when the powers out, never mind wasted beer.

+1 on the generator!!! Spent a whole week without power a couple years ago. Never again!! I'd fire that puppy up in a heartbeat if I was brewin' and lost power. We must have our priorities in order!!:rockin:

Back