Quick bottle priming question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizmo

Reaction score
Hey, I was just wondering, does the amount of priming sugar you use for bottling change depending on the alcohol content of the beer? I mean, do you use the same amount of priming sugar for a mild ale as you would for a barleywine? I know that different styles are supposed to have different levels of carbonation (stout vs. hefe-weisse), just wondering if more alcohol needed more sugar for proper carbonation.

The short answer is no. As you said the amount you use will vary depending on the level of carb you want. Bigger beers can more time to carb, due to the alcohol, but you will want a them to age a bit anyway.

I dont think it does. I think that the amount is in direct relation to the size of the bottle that you are carbing.
i read a thread somewhere that showed a chart on amt carbing sugar/amt of carbonation, but cant remember where i saw it....

Ok, cool thanks. So only use more sugar if I "want" more carbonation, bigger beers don't "require" more to be carbonated. Ok, just didn't want to get in a situation where I made a pale ale with adequate carbonation, used the same amount of sugar in a 10 abv barleywine, and got little or no carbonation, thanks again :)

Back