Dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry, EP! it's like the 3-4 time you've had to tell me :~)

i don't think my limited cajun-french will help you out BeeGee!

How's the dunkel doing? I was going to keg my Weihenstephaner this weekend, but for reasons beyond my control I'm kegging an APA and I'll be bottling the wheat...guess I'll wait a few more weeks.

Anyways, I'm doing some research into Schneider Aventinus tonight (hands on) and if my yeast thievery goes as hoped I think I will try it next and base it on the recipe I stole from that French link (kind of weird finding a French text document full of German beer recipes, but I guess credit where credit is due...). I did the conversions and threw it in Promash and dang if the color and abv aren't spot on, so hopefully it can be trusted!

i checked it this afternoon and it's goin' about evrery 7-8 seconds at 72 degrees. we had a little cool snap come in and i can't keep that damn chest freezer above 62-64. looks like it may go another week. but, it'sokay. i still have plenty of beer on tap. not much drinking brew lately.

harvesting that yeast from Aventinus should work PDG. sounds like your digg'n that stuff?

Yeah, it's pretty nice. No hint it's 8%, either. I boiled up a bit of DME in a cup of water last night and poured a bit in the bottle (nice yeast cake in this one). No idea if it's viable or even the primary strain, but it only took 20 minutes to execute, so no biggie! If not, I'm thinking Wyeast Bavarian Wheat will give me the results I'm looking for.

well, i tried to see if it said anything about german breweries using different yeast for bottle conditioning in my German Wheat Beer book, but i didn't see anything after a quick glance. it just says they add speise (wort, sugar or priming sugar used for bottle conditioning).

WOO-HOO! my Spec's had Aventinus today!!! loaded up. also got some Spaten Optimator, 1 Delerium Nocturnum, and a sixer of Hacker-Pschorr Munich Edelhell.

had to have something to drink while i steamed mussels tonight!

Dang, I picked up a couple Schneider Weissen yesterday, but I didn't think to look for that Aventinus. :(

You know, I was feeling bad about how dark my hefe was, but I don't think it was any darker than that SW.

Been thinking today I should pick up a few more Aventinus and maybe something else. I did get an Ommegang Three Philosophers which looks interesting, but I better save it for the weekend or find a friend.

This link has some information on whether or not bottle conditioned beers have the primary or bottling strains:
http://www.nada.kth.se/~alun/Beer/Bottle-Yeasts/
Of course, it's speculative.

I'm going for a quick mountain bike ride, tossin' a few back at the tavern, and then going to check on my Aventinus experiment. BTW, does your wheat book have any info on Berliner Weisse?

S-W is coppery to my eyes. I like it. My Weihenstephaner clone is really light...once it's primed up I'll try to get a shot (although that's a crap shoot on computer monitors). The Aventinus are lovely...

El Pistolero said:
Dang, I picked up a couple Schneider Weissen yesterday, but I didn't think to look for that Aventinus. :(

You know, I was feeling bad about how dark my hefe was, but I don't think it was any darker than that SW.

the SW is dark for a hefe, but damn tasty. don't feel bad at all. it;s a good brew (yours).

BeeGee said:
I'm going for a quick mountain bike ride, tossin' a few back at the tavern, and then going to check on my Aventinus experiment. BTW, does your wheat book have any info on Berliner Weisse?

sure does. what you want to know?

DeRoux's Broux said:
sure does. what you want to know?
I don't know. Think I'm interested in making one, but I've never actually tried one (we were discussing this phenomenon today at lunch). I'd probably wait till more springtime and lawnmowing season. Do they talk about which yeast to use in addition to lacto culture? I've seen everything from regular German ale to hefe yeasts cited.

BeeGee said:
I don't know. Think I'm interested in making one, but I've never actually tried one (we were discussing this phenomenon today at lunch). I'd probably wait till more springtime and lawnmowing season. Do they talk about which yeast to use in addition to lacto culture? I've seen everything from regular German ale to hefe yeasts cited.

i just scoped recipe in the book and it says to use a Kolsch or other top fermenting German yeast strain, NOT a weizen strain.

if you like weizen's that much, i'd suggest getting the book. it's good and u can find them used on amazon.com. i was told they are out of print.

Funny, I was scoping that series today on Amazon...I'm definitely interested in the wheat book. Most of the other styles in the series don't seem like they have that much depth to plumb, but what do I know. The wheat book seems like it would be jam packed full of good info. The Scottish one might be interesting, as well.

BeeGee said:
Funny, I was scoping that series today on Amazon...I'm definitely interested in the wheat book. Most of the other styles in the series don't seem like they have that much depth to plumb, but what do I know. The wheat book seems like it would be jam packed full of good info. The Scottish one might be interesting, as well.

i was about to say, the Scotch ale book by Greg Noonan is damn good. i'm biased though, i love his New Brewing Lager Beer book. a must for any brew library!

i want all of 'em. next is the pale ale or porter book.....

here ya go BeeGee. i didn't read it ('cause it's late) but thought you might dig it....

http://***********/recipe/1452.html

i did manage to get the dunkel racked finaly. 14 days for fermentation to complete......
set it in the chest freezer set at 45. gonna let it ride for about 3 weeks. tasted potent too!

Back