15 cu. ft. Chest fermentation chamber - show yours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huaco

Reaction score
So, my Grandfather-in-law gave me his 15 ft^3 chest freezer because he is, in his own words "Too old to be messin' with slaughterin' calves." and won't be using it anymore. Well, I guess for a 89 year old WWII vet, he is doing down right dandy.
Anyway, I got the chest home and mocked up some Sanke Kegs with cardboard rounds. See Pictures below.
8746_10151343531104224_1962733259_n.jpg

556835_10151343533814224_674883884_n.jpg

My plan is to sell off most of my 7 glass carboys and purchase (2) Sanke kegs to ferment in. I could easily do (2) - 10 gallon batches in the fermenter at the same time, as shown in my pictures. Has anyone else used a 15 ft.^3 chest in combination with Sanke Kegs? I also have the option to use (4) plastic 6 gallon buckets or carboys. I just like the idea of getting away from the glass and have never been a fan of fermenting in plastic. I would essentially be fermenting the same amount of beer either way.
Anyway, show me what you've got along the lines of a 15 ft^3 chest freezer fermenter. I want to see it!

Your back is a lot better than mine to be lifting loaded Sankes in and out of a chest freezer! Or do you have something else in mind?

Your back is a lot better than mine to be lifting loaded Sankes in and out of a chest freezer! Or do you have something else in mind?
Yes!! I would highly recommend hinging the front of that chest or something otherwise plan on a two man operation and a lot of dents on the top rim of that pretty cooler:(

I may end up going with LME drums from my LHBS. Still 15 gallons, but way cheaper to start. I may build a 2' tall platform for the chest so I can siphon from it to the corny kegs without lifting full drums out of there... Same principal would work if I upgrade to sanke kegs.

I use a chest freezer as a fermentation chamber, and I have been using Sanke kegs to ferment in. I can fit 2 1/2 barrel kegs and 2 1/6 or tall 1/4 barrels in the freezer and it works great. I must agree that after lifting the 1/2 barrel kegs in and out you will most likely want to look for something a bit easier. I now split my 10 gallon batches into to tall 1/4 barrels. The other option would be to get Sanke fermentation caps that some vendors sell and use CO2 to push the beer out before lifting out the empty keg.

Back