Chocolate and beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elspeth_Payne

Reaction score
What do you think of putting chocolate - not malt, but real chocolate - in your beer? What do you think of the flavor combination? How do you have to handle it in fermentation?

I've made a oatmeal stout with Hershey's Cocoa powder before. Used half the box in the mash and half in the last 5 minutes of the boil. Made a hell of a pile of sludge in the bottom of the carboy, but the beer came out awesome.

I shaved some dark and milk chocolate into the grains in my grain bag, and then steep'd it all into the wort. It was a recipe for a porter and it was the best beer I've made so far! I wouldn't think it would be good in a lighter beer but anything spiced, porter, stout or just not too hoppy I think you'll be happy. Good luck

I tried the Double Chocolate Stout kit from Austin and get tons of complements. I drop the "double" when I tell people now because it gives them more realistic expectations. Funny how that affects perceptions...

Back