Hopspider hardware

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kansas_cty_shfl

Reaction score
So I built a hopspider yesterday and have been second guessing things ever since. My major reservation is that I used galvanized bolts, nuts and washers so now I'm concerned something will leach off into my beer. Obviously it's not touching the wort but does get hot hanging out above everything. Am I being paranoid or should I swap all this out for something else?

I would switch out to stainless for 2 reasons. Longevity and peace of mind. Just my 2 cents. Stainless hardware is a little more expensive, galvanized will rust eventually in a moist environment and personally my peace of mind is worth the couple of extra bucks. It shouldn't be more than a days lunch money if your on a tight budget. I know i could skip a couple of lunches.

If its galvanized it shouldnt rust for a while. Wire fences are usually galvanized, and you dont see very many rusty ones. You don't see it used in food applications very often. I remember in high school metal shop teach told me not to weld on galvanized steel because it would emit toxic fumes. I think you would be fine taking your time, maybe eventually replacing with stainless. But, if its not touching the wort, probably don't have to.

Ever hear of galvanized water pipe? You'll be fine. The galvanizing coating is zinc, stainless would be better but for non contact, I wouldn't sweat it.

Back