Propane tank ????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klay23

Reaction score
How to tell how much is left in it? No freeze that I can see, feeling lighter also. But there is some in it, I can hear it and feel it when I shake it. Help?

What you could do, it might be too late with the current tank, but weight it empty. Then when you get a new one, weight it and see how much it weighs. You might be able to find the weight of the tank somewhere on the tank it's self.

Another trick, get some really really hot water, about 1/4 gallon to 1/2 gallon and pour it down the side of the tank. Feel the side of the tank. You should feel a line between hot and cold on the side. THat's how much propane is in the tank.

With all the different burners(and how their adjusted) out there, there's no way to accurately tell. I used to get 3-4 6 gallon batches out of mine, but everyone will be different.

Found in another thread that 40lbs full tank, 18lbs empty. They where getting 11 hrs a tank. So about 2lbs per hour??? That sounds right? So I need mine to weigh at least 22-23 lbs to be safe I'm thinking... ???

Buy a second tank. I ran out once in the middle of the brew and went to buy a spare the next day. Saves me a lot of head aches on brew day

Extra tank for sure. Even when they are not empty they may slow down.

Also, Santa got me a hanging luggage scale. Weigh the tank. You can then calculate how much you have left.

Back