What's your go-to-homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stand

Reaction score
I just finished bottling the 3rd round on my favorite golden ale. I always like the beer I make... because it's... well... beer, but I always want to try something new. This is the only beer I tear up about when it's gone. I'm curious what everyone else pegs as their go-to-brew?

Recipes please!

Simcoe Pale Ale. I try to keep it on tap as much as possible. This won 2nd place in the California State Fair this year.

Pale Ale:
22 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1
2 lbs 4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2
8.8 oz CaraMunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 3
8.8 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4
4.00 oz Simcoe [12.40 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.65 oz Simcoe [12.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 34.4 IBUs
1.10 oz Amarillo Gold [10.70 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 15.2 IBUs
1.10 oz Amarillo Gold [9.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 3.3 IBUs
2.20 oz Simcoe [12.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 9.1 IBUs

I used Denny Favorite for this one. I have also used Nottingham with great results. This is my favorite recipe!

Mashed at 154 F

I go with a pretty standard Scottish Ale for my go to.
Brewed it about 4 times, very little in the way of changes in the recipe.

I haven't ever brewed with Honey Malt, but I do love Simcoe.

I finally figured out how to post from Beersmith, so here's my recipe.
8 gallon batch

16 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 84.2 %
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.3 %
1 lbs Light Munich Malt (5.6 SRM) Grain 3 5.3 %
1 lbs Wheat Malt, US (2.3 SRM) Grain 4 5.3 %
28.35 g Chinook [11.80 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
28.35 g Williamette [4.50 %] - First Wort 70.0 min Hop 5 10.2 IBUs
14.17 g Cascade [6.40 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
7.09 g Chinook [11.80 %] - Boil 25.0 min Hop 7 4.1 IBUs
14.17 g Cascade [6.40 %] - Boil 25.0 min Hop 6 4.4 IBUs
28.35 g Chinook [11.80 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 11.7 IBUs
3.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 8 -
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL Yeast #US-05) [50.00 ml] Yeast

It's a weird ale, and it tastes best warmer than most beers (6.8%ABV), but it's tasty.

I really like to have my Robust Porter on tap (it has a decent amount of Black Patent) and my crowd pleaser is my Mandarin Hefeweizen. They're definitely polar opposites, but damn if I don't feel a happy giddiness inside when I have one of them on tap. ;)

My Alcoa Puritan ESB is my stand by. It has turned out great every time I have brewed it, but never lasts long enough LOL

Nice question! :)

I have an IIPA, with tons of centennial in it and an ESB. I brew them both with about the same frequency.

Mine is Hefeweizen. Not much to it, but while I sip most beers I slam the hefe. I keep brewing different styles and have a pretty good pipeline going, so i have to keep brewing the hefe to have in between other things. it helps that I can have it grain to glass in less than 3 weeks (kegging).

My oaked amber is a beer or two from being gone. Im hanging by strings. I have to give one to my girlfriends Dad to give him a good impression hopefully of my beers as he is a bud light only drinker,so he may think some of my other 16+ ibu session beers are too bitter or something,crossing my fingers.
Looking at the bright side i will probably brew it again its all good plus i got a major inventory of many beers plus im going to go get some more Avery's Majahara- so im good to go.
+1 to the hefe, i just bottled mine yesterday.first hefe too
i have plenty of session brews that are currently in their prime, i think its been 3 months,hop aroma and flavor is great- its funny how people say to drink them fast, in my experience its not the case and takes a few months to start peaking out-especially head.Good carbonation more hops + time=good head.

I love the orange, corriander, cascade pale I have on tap right now. So smooth...everyone loves it. The recipe is in the hbt database.

Well,I've been exploring/experimenting so much I have yet to repeat one. But so far,the Sunset Gold APA & BuckIPA of mine have been winners. Even to my wife. I think I've created a hop head.

I love my Old Town Brown, an English brown ale, light hops, low ABV and sturdy malt back.

I should make some.......:rolleyes:

Can't really post recipes of my go-to homebrews since I'm changing them just a little each time, but the ones I keep in rotation fairly regularly are my chocolate stout, American IPA, and APA.

I usually like experimenting with new recipes way too much to keep one around at all times, but that may change once I start getting a few kegs. Still experimenting, but filling the new brews in bottles and the tried and true ones into the kegs.

There's actually a bar in Greensboro, NC called Old Town, and Natty Greene's makes a beer for them called Old Town Brown. It's pretty good.

An all Cascade pale ale. Seems to be a crowd pleaser. I like to have a nice chocolaty stout around though too.

IPA, I'm still don't have a standard recipe but I'm leaning towards a recipe that started from a Two-Hearted clone

kscaglio said:
IPA, I'm still don't have a standard recipe but I'm leaning towards a recipe that started from a Two-Hearted clone

I use Eschatz's 2HA clone grain bill and just change up the hop bill from batch to batch. But I always have a very similar IPA on tap.

I dont have the recipe memorized but I call it the "Brown Duce" (Belgian Dubble).

Super smooth, a little toasty with great mouth feel and after taste.

Always a crowd pleaser.

Can't really post recipes of my go-to homebrews since I'm changing them just a little each time, but the ones I keep in rotation fairly regularly are my chocolate stout, American IPA, and APA.

I usually like experimenting with new recipes way too much to keep one around at all times, but that may change once I start getting a few kegs. Still experimenting, but filling the new brews in bottles and the tried and true ones into the kegs.

good call, but i would be tweaking mine forever, too many possibilities. I think i would get frustrated trying, so i consider it somewhat luck for me because it would make my brain blow up to consider?? pitching rate,water,ph,this grain that grain,how much sparge,mash temp,ferm temp,yeast,sanitizer,dry hop-no dry hop,what hop?,brain pop.:mug:

I usually tweak one minor thing, but leave the recipe largely the same each time. I feel like I'm learning a lot more about ingredients and their final results this way than I would if I was doing something new each time.

I haven't been brewing that long, but so far the two I have brewed more than once are EdWorts Rye IPA, that I usually also dryhop, and a clone of Mac and Jack's African Amber that is a fantastic beer.

the only two recipes I've ever repeated are my mild and amber ale, but i like to keep them around

Usually the one in front of me at the moment. I like many different styles. But my favs so far are my APA/IPA dual recipe. Just getting one more tweak next time,& it should be great. That may also become a triple use recipe,as I'm thinking of using the APA one to make a pale pumpkin ale.

My Special Bitter:

1.040 OG
IBU: 25-30

3kg MO
0,30kg Crystal 60
0,25kg Invert (or cane sugar or other sugar)

60min bittering addition (I'm using Phoenix now, used to use Target)
0min 15g Fuggles OR Goldings

English yeast

In the last 10 batches I have brewed, at least 7 have been some form of this bitter or something close to it. I'm always tweaking the recipe somehow based on the previous brew and the yeast I'm using (I'll use more sugar with less attenuative strains, for example). Last batch of this I brewed, I added some black barley for a deep copper color and used Bramling Cross for bittering and aroma.

It's based on Bob's recipe for ordinary bitter (he uses 80/10/10 MO/crystal/sugar, I use a tad more base malt).

Kölsch

Crispy, clean, spicy. All of the lager goodness without the lager fussiness. Kölsch is always in my lineup.

American Pale Ale with columbus, cascade, and centennial for hops and 2-row and Crystal 40 for malt.

Summertime...Biermunchers Tale of 3 Grains cream ale...always a hit with everyone...
Especially me!!!

My house ESB, tweaked it over several batches so far and I think I have a winner now. Plus it's simple and fast from grain to glass:

Target OG: 1.051
Target FG: 1.013
Target ABV: 5.0%

Fermentables
UK Pale Ale Malt 9.0 lb
US Caramel 60L Malt 12.0 oz
Belgian Biscuit Malt 8.0 oz

Hops
US Cascade 0.75 oz 60 Min
US Cascade 0.75 oz 15 Min
US Cascade 0.75 oz 5 Min
UK Golding 0.50 oz In fermenter

Yeast: Wyeast 1318-London Ale III

Water Profile: Burton-On-Trent (UK)

Mash @151F for 60 min w/mash-out

Mine's super easy:

5lbs of pilsen DME (or equivalent LME)
.25lb carapils
.25lb crystal 20
1 oz hallatauer 60 min
1 oz liberty 20 min
US-05 dry yeast

Ferment cool around 66F. Let it sit in the primary for 3 weeks, then keg and serve
Sometimes just to be a little different I'll dry hop it, or switch the liberty out for another hop (eg, Northern Brewer or Tettnang). Every now and again I will switch the US-05 with a Belgian Yeast, which gives it a little spice. Carb it 2.5-2.7

Its easy-peasy, all the family and friends love it. I think I brew it 4-5 times a year now.

Back